Battoning idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dodss

Dec 1, 2009
Lincolnshire
I hike light with a wood stove and don't want to carry my Mora or other knives for bylaw,travel and weight reasons. I have thought if sharpening a short piece of metal that could be spliced lashed into a downed branch in the area and then use that for battoning. I wouldn't be doing much or large branches.Just wondered if anyone had done similar.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a little Opinel No.8 for spiltting down small sticks for my Bushbuddy, it only weighs around 50g and is plenty strong enough for what I need.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hike light with a wood stove and don't want to carry my Mora or other knives for bylaw,travel and weight reasons. I have thought if sharpening a short piece of metal that could be spliced lashed into a downed branch in the area and then use that for battoning. I wouldn't be doing much or large branches.Just wondered if anyone had done similar.

Sounds like what you need is a small froe? Just make the froe handle on site

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Carrying a sharpened bit of metal is still technically carrying a knife. Also, I'd have thought a Mora would be lighter if weight is an issue?

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Just get a cheap folder so that if it break it doesn't matter too much, can't see the weight been much more and as for bylaws i think if they search you and find a sharpened piece of metal the dibble will problerly be very suspicious of what you were doing with it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think you'd end up in more trouble with an improvised shiv than a proper knife. If you are carrying it along with a stove and other outdoor gear then you have a valid excuse. Carrying either in town could potentially get you into trouble

dodss

Dec 1, 2009
Lincolnshire
Good comments thanks. What is a froe? The Opinel looks nice and would fit in with my whittling. I do have a few cheap folding knives might just use a few and see how I get on.I have a Bushcooker stove and the Backcountry Boiler, I start with larch twigs if I can get them but find dry split stuff works better afterwards rather than larger twigs which may have been around a bit and not dry enough.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The Opinel is a locking knife - *don't* try this with a normal slipjoint folder. With a normal folder, if the wood suddenly splits you run the risk of battoning the knife closed on your fingers.

Hold the Opinel handle lightly, don't try to lever it through the wood.

Your other alternative is one of the Mora whittlers such as a 106. The blade is short with a stick tang so its pretty light.

TBH, if I were going for a versatile light kit I'd get a SAK with a saw blade and a medium-sized opinel. Saw sticks to length and split with the opinel.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What is a froe?

A froe is a tool designed to split wood and designed to have a removable / improvised handle

froe6.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh stuff it - go buy one :)

Eric Methven gave me mine (thanks Eric!) - really useful tool.

If you want to baton - but a tool meant to be batoned!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think this has been said before, but I'm just wondering if a Putty hacking out knife wouldn't be better? It's designed to be hit on the back edge, it's not pointed as you can see in the pic below, and can be as blunt as you like. I doubt a copper's going to kick off too much as you risk a nasty bruise rather than a cut having one of those in your possession.

faithfull-hacking-knife.jpg

Saw this for £6.59 HERE

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good comments thanks. What is a froe? The Opinel looks nice and would fit in with my whittling. I do have a few cheap folding knives might just use a few and see how I get on.I have a Bushcooker stove and the Backcountry Boiler, I start with larch twigs if I can get them but find dry split stuff works better afterwards rather than larger twigs which may have been around a bit and not dry enough.

Yeah you don't need much of a blade for a Bushcooker, a little Opinel will do fine for splitting that kind of fuel. I think a froe or wedge is a bit overkill, you might as well carry a multi fuel stove and spare fuel bottles if you're going to lump tools like that around.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE