Battery powered microwave oven...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Stupid.
If you want warm food during a car journey, you can warm it up using the residual heat from the engine. just take some oven grade Al foil with you!

I have read that some people cook food in the engine room!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Making tea whilst in a vehicle seems a regular problem to solve. People seem to carry jetboils or clones but can have Co2 problems in confined spaces.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Making tea whilst in a vehicle seems a regular problem to solve. People seem to carry jetboils or clones but can have Co2 problems in confined spaces.

Way off topic, but I see this mistake quite often.

CO is carbon monoxide, the deadly gas. CO2 is carbon dioxide. Very different gases with different properties. CO2 isn't poisonous, it forms a small part of the air we breathe. It's heavier than air, but not poisonous unless in the absence of air, which is why it can suffocate fires and is used in fire extinguishers. Carbon monoxide in such concentrations is flammable, it wants to add the second oxygen atom to make CO2.

Carbon Monoxide is poisonous, but not heavier than air, so can fill a car cabin or tent quite easily. It's given off by combustion, particularly barbecues (charcoal) and gas stoves (carbon based fuels). If, by this stage of my post, you are starting to doze off, open the window, it's the CO getting to you :lmao:

A Jetboil in a car with the windows open is no problem, and there's no way in the world I'd take a portable battery microwave anywhere, I don't even use the one at home.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Way off topic, but I see this mistake quite often.

CO is carbon monoxide, the deadly gas. CO2 is carbon dioxide. Very different gases with different properties. CO2 isn't poisonous, it forms a small part of the air we breathe. It's heavier than air, but not poisonous unless in the absence of air, which is why it can suffocate fires and is used in fire extinguishers. Carbon monoxide in such concentrations is flammable, it wants to add the second oxygen atom to make CO2.

Carbon Monoxide is poisonous, but not heavier than air, so can fill a car cabin or tent quite easily. It's given off by combustion, particularly barbecues (charcoal) and gas stoves (carbon based fuels). If, by this stage of my post, you are starting to doze off, open the window, it's the CO getting to you :lmao:

A Jetboil in a car with the windows open is no problem, and there's no way in the world I'd take a portable battery microwave anywhere, I don't even use the one at home.

Yeah, typed before thinking... I did study chemistry once upon a time :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The type of inverter depends on what you want to operate. Square wave, Modified sine wave (a stepped square wave) or pure sine wave. I have used them all.
They all suck some power to operate the circuitry.

SW is cheapest and runs incandescent lights OK, not motors. Hard to get a fluoro to light up, don't know about LED.
I used to run it in the truck in December with strings of old fashioned Christmas lights all over the roof rack.

MSW isn't worth crap. Most electric motors won't eat it at all.

Pure sine wave is the most expensive of the three, mine is about 1kW for 117VAC. It drives everything.
When the 12VDC batteries are topped up (13.7VDC), I get about 8 hrs at 500W.
Down around 10.5VDC, the alarm goes off, the voltage is too low for the inverter to function.

I use deep cycle marine batteries, 6VDC with pairs in series.
Then I gang them together in parallel.
I need more batteries for juice storage. $500/pair.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
It's, I mean... Do you think...

I'm struggling here. On the one hand I'm thinking, microwave? Really, I mean really! A portable microwave oven? What is the point?

But then I think about when I used to work shifts in a van and it wasn't always fun lighting a stove in the back to cook up something warm, and how easy a tin of soup or macaroni cheese or something could be at work if I didn't have to wait for the one microwave between 30 odd staff. How the kids hot chocolate when we are sledging could be just ready to go quickly and easily.

But then I tell myself to get a grip, who needs a portable microwave! Although I can see all night fishing types maybe...

Sneaking suspicion I might quite like one, but won't afford one...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's, I mean... Do you think...

I'm struggling here. On the one hand I'm thinking, microwave? Really, I mean really! A portable microwave oven? What is the point?

But then I think about when I used to work shifts in a van and it wasn't always fun lighting a stove in the back to cook up something warm, and how easy a tin of soup or macaroni cheese or something could be at work if I didn't have to wait for the one microwave between 30 odd staff. How the kids hot chocolate when we are sledging could be just ready to go quickly and easily.

But then I tell myself to get a grip, who needs a portable microwave! Although I can see all night fishing types maybe...

Sneaking suspicion I might quite like one, but won't afford one...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Decent vac flask does it, no? Eating tinned macaroni cheese is wrong anyway, but the food flasks keep it hot for around 6 hours in my tests on the Stanley and Aladdin.

Otherwise, gas. This, as you say, is a niche product, it'll never get used. It'll be on the Gadget Show, demonstrated by some presenter who is uncomfortable in the outdoors and might get his shoes dirty. He'll probably be on a Segway ;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Like a lot of people on here i work outdoors, & for me its a decent flask & an alpkit "jetboil" clone, depending where i am i might even use a home made folding wood burner for frying bacon.

....Mmmm...bacon....

Rob

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Decent vac flask does it, no? Eating tinned macaroni cheese is wrong anyway, but the food flasks keep it hot for around 6 hours in my tests on the Stanley and Aladdin.

Otherwise, gas. This, as you say, is a niche product, it'll never get used. It'll be on the Gadget Show, demonstrated by some presenter who is uncomfortable in the outdoors and might get his shoes dirty. He'll probably be on a Segway ;)

Maybe driving a Sinclair C5?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE