Basket making and basket maker's knife

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
My daughter has been getting into willow basket weaving recently. She's been on a beginners' course and is already planning her next one. In the meanwhile she's been practicing on her own.

Here is her first basket, made on her own after the course.

DSCF5131.jpg

She's been wanting a good knife for working with, so I made her this basket-maker's knife, copied from the one her instructor was using on the course.

DSCF5127.jpg

DSCF5126.jpg

I can see a willow quiver coming my way...:)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Great work!
And that goes both for the basket as well as for the knife! Is there anything more satisfying than things like this coming together?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks ladies & gentlemen. Yes it is very satisfying. She is an inveterate fiddler, always doing something crafty, She even asked for a pair of giant knitting needles the other week!

Here is another pic of the said basket.

DSCF5135.jpg

She did another two during her 2 days course, but This one is the first she made on her own.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Beautiful basket.You must be very proud of your daughter.
The knife was a precious gift which I'm sure she will treasure.It looks like it would make a useful mushrooming knife too!
What a talented family.
Cheers , Simon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the comments. She really enjoyed doing the course and now has some willows soaking in a bath, to be turned into more baskets...hopefully a nice quiver for dad's homeless arrows...:cool::red:

where about's was the course?

This is where she went..Norfolk Baskets company The owner's name is Adrian. I've met he and his wife. Nice people. Nice baskets too! No connections...blah blah...:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE