Basic knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Or a book called "how to make knives" by Robert Loveless and Robert Barney. I got mine from www.attacc.com. Its well written and aimed at the dummy. Becomes even more understandable after you have converted it from American to English :-D :-D

Simon

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
wayne goddard's "$50 knife shop is a good'un. the premis is that you can get all the kit you need to set up a knife making work shop for 50 bucks. there're some great examples of damascus style blades made from steel cable.

cheers, and.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Hi Tony
I'm sure that you will already have these links, but I have found them only recently. Lots of information. :-D
http://www.engnath.com/public/intable.htm
and
http://www.customknifedirectory.com/CKD_TutorialFrameset.htm?CKD_Tutorials.htm~tmain

Hope its ok to post another forum address here. If not I'm sorry, please remove it.

Does this knifemaking question have anything to do with the Felleskap ? I'm in the same boat, keen but desperately trying to find information so that I don't mess it up completely :yikes: . I've ordered Thuya Burl wood for the handle, hopefuly it will be such nice wood that it will offset some of the inadequacies of my handywork. Its good to know that there are other people trying to learn this stuff as they go along, not just me. :-D

Jon

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Jon,

I don't know about Tony but my research is defiantly for when I get my replacement Felleskap from Trond, after receiving my empty jiffy bag with it neat slit in the end last week, but luckily no blood?

Where are you getting the Thuya Burl? Axminster? I am ordering some Imbuya from them which I think will look good with the 6mm black/brass mosaic pins I have made, as the mock-up below (the pin is mine but the wood is from Axminsters web site.)

pin.jpg

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
after receiving my empty jiffy bag with it neat slit in the end last week, but luckily no blood?

ooowwww..... I can tell you its worth the wait ;-) Maybe we should start a thread in Edged Tools for the Felleskap owners.

Ed

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/ have some lovely thuya burl, I used some for a little skinner I made ages ago...

second.jpg

I made the mosaic pins myself (first try at this). The wood for this handle was taken from one of the two pieces of thuya on the left of this pic...

wood.jpg

2x pieces of thuya burl, some artificial ivory, african black ebony, amboyna burl, some beautiful macassar striped ebony and a piece of cocobolo.

...all sourced from craft supplies and pretty cheap too. Word of warning though, thuya is extremely waxy and gums up your tools something rotten. It clogged up about half a dozen belts on my belt grinder getting it to shape on this one knife. Carve it down to shape as far as you possibly can before sanding it, it will save hours in sanding time and a huge amount of paper/belts.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Christopher:
I was sorry to hear about the Jiffy Bag "Teaser" that you recieved. Mine had made a bid for freedom and was sticking through the bag when it arrived. :shock:

Maybe I should have got the Thuya Burl from Axminster but I went with Brisa instead. Why ? I wanted some mosaic pins and thought it would be good to buy everything all in one go.

The pins in your photo look excellent, :notworthy for my next knife I'll have to see if you have any to spare. :-D

Ed:
The idea of a thread for Felleskap owners sounds like a very good idea. Of the people engaged in the Felleskap there are a few who are veterans of this sort of thing, but most of us seem to be heading into new territory. I for one need all the support I can get.

Martyn:
I like the knife.
Thank you for the warning about the properties of Thuya Burl. Thats just the sort of information that I need.
By the way how did you get the sheath markings to match the handle ?

Jon

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Bookwise, I'd strongly recommend Tim McCreight's book, Custom Knifemaking - he concentrates on the use of hand tools, and each project adds something new to the skillset being used. With the possible exception of the $50 Knife Shop, the majority of the books out there concentrate on having a surfeit of machine tools - the primary one being the belt grinder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...93296/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_3_6/202-8199989-6659835

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jon said:
By the way how did you get the sheath markings to match the handle ?

Jon

Jon, I used a dye called Van-Dyke crstals, which is made from pure walnut husks and gives a lovely rich colour. I gave the sheath a light coating first, then soaked a piece of thick cotton in the dye and draped it randomly over the sheath and left to soak in. Then I dipped the sheath in a hot bath of 1 part carnuba wax, 3 parts beeswax and about an equal measure of neatsfoot oil. The result is a completely waterproof and rock hard sheath with a texture closer to kydex than leather (I think the armourers of yesteryear used this method to harden leather armour).

The black dye (not really a dye, more of a kitchen sink chemical reaction) was made from wire wool and household vinegar. It's an awesome dye, the vinegar eats away at the steel wool to make a clear solution of ferrous acetate, filter it with a coffe filter to get all the grunge out and then lightly paint it onto your leather. This reacts with the tannic acid in the leather to turn it black instantly - it's a mad effect, that definitely produces a "wow" effect when you do it for the first time. Neutralise the vinegar/leather after with baking soda (vinegar & blade steel dont mix well, so be sure to do this). You can add a little4 iodine to give it a red tint if you prefer a reddish-black.

Here's another I did with the same dyes & hot wax dip (better pic)...

1sheath1.jpg

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Wow

So that's how you do it.

After the Felleskap is ready the next project will be the sheath. I'm sure that Colin suggested something about making a kit available ..........

This is all a learning experience, and it really helps when someone takes the time to point you in the right direction. :biggthump

Thanks

Jon.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
That iron acetate "dye" is very, very good. I use that in preference to the commercial spirit dyes now - it gives a more even colour, doesn't rub off and doesn't stain your hands quite as readily.

The only downsides are the need to neutralise it, and the increased drying time.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Martyn said:
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/ have some lovely thuya burl, I used some for a little skinner I made ages ago...

..snip..

I made the mosaic pins myself (first try at this). The wood for this handle was taken from one of the two pieces of thuya on the left of this pic...

..snip..

2x pieces of thuya burl, some artificial ivory, african black ebony, amboyna burl, some beautiful macassar striped ebony and a piece of cocobolo.

...all sourced from craft supplies and pretty cheap too. ..snip..

Wow, Martyn, those are very nice pins!

I'd like to have a go at making some myself, so I've posted a request on BB.

Here's how I imagine doing it:

one piece of 6mm steel tube, three pieces of smaller diameter tube. Put the small tubes inside the bigger tube, and fill the space with dyed resin. Does this sound right?

Keith.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice description of pin making! I have a little hand-held vacuum pump from my mechanic days that we used to test seals around the wrist pins of pistons. Should be perfect for sucking up epoxy into the tubes. I think these are used for a variety of other applications so you should be able to find them. Maybe a breast milk pump, eh? :-D And I don't think they are all that expensive. I do believe epoxy fumes ae carcinogenic but I imagine the dose you get from making the pins is small.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE