Basha in German

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Chat to a pal in Germany. Anyone know what the German military term is for a basha or bivvi?

He recons he can get most kit dead cheap but my description fails him.

Sandsnakes

:grouphug:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
What would be the prefered method or description? Not wishing to offend or display deeper ignorance than I have todate.

Thanks
:notworthy

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
sandsnakes said:
What would be the prefered method or description? Not wishing to offend or display deeper ignorance than I have todate.

Thanks
:notworthy

What would be the preferred method of doing what? And what would be the preferred description of what?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
sandsnakes said:
Chat to a pal in Germany. Anyone know what the German military term is for a basha or bivvi?

He recons he can get most kit dead cheap but my description fails him.

Sandsnakes

:grouphug:

The closest thing I can think of is a Zeltbahn. Though it's not a tarpaulin / hootchie as what we know under that name. It's more a triangle piece of tarp, suitable to make a tent with, if you got more of them (i.e. more people).
Maybe Abbe knows the score, IIRC he's fluent in German.

Pictures for your information ;)
http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&sa=N&resnum=0&q=zeltbahn&spell=1&tab=wi

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ah Ha! The plot thickens.

I have tried emailing a picture of a bivvi, etc. The comment was why is your tent missing its sides, end and bottom... Its got to be a cultural thing! Now I have to explain why, then the German sense of humour slips in, oh yes they do have one.

S

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Very funny!

A friend of mine worked in germany as a bartender for the summer in the `90`s...people kept asking him why he didn`t have a moustache... :)

this may have absolutely nothing to do with tarps....but it is friday night :)

Marko

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I asked at a German outdoor forum what the German for bivvy bag is and I was told:
"Bivi-bag kennt jeder. Sonst einfach Biwaksack"

Jasus, the things I do for you lot!.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Thanks Anthonyyyy but...I am after a flecktarn basha, got a bivvy bag! I feel a trip to Hamburg coming on.

And it is friday night

S :banghead:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
A friend in Germany sent me one, along with other gear, in trade for some US gear that he couldn't get in Germany. I just emailed him and asked for him to get their term for the tarp to me and I'll post it if someone hasn't already beat me to it. It has reinforced grommets and line guides, which are visible in the photo as small black triangles. .

Tarp6.jpg

Jun 9, 2006
Bedworth
Hi,

I've recently ordered a new, lightweight flecktarn basha direct from TacGear in Germany (www.tacgear.de). The basha's are under 'Products > Bivouac Equipemt > Basha / Tarp'.

This was only a few day ago, so i'm still waiting for delivery - i'll let you know if i have any problems with them.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I German friend got back to me and here's the info he gave me.

H. Raeer GmbH
Altes Dorf 18 - 20
D-31137 Hildesheim
Germany

You can order it online at: www.raeer.com

The tarp is referred to as:
MTS Tarp, BW-tarn
Item-No. 47008.22

The tarp is not included in the online store. Normally a tarp is called *plane*, but for outdoor use, they call it a tarp.

Jun 9, 2006
Bedworth
I've received the tarp i ordered from Germany. Delivery was about 10 days in total. I thought i'd read before buying it that it weighed only about 300-400 grams but having looked again at the tacgear site it doesn't mention the weight, so it's possible i just made that figure up!

Having just checked on the kitchen scales it weighs in at just under 600 grams - still pretty reasonable!

It's got plenty of fixing points and seems well constructed, but i guess only time wil tell...

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Couldnt get on with the process so I have left German pal Petra to beg, borrow or steal. Pal Chris who is charging round the desert in a chopper has promised to steal all German kit he comes across, god help them if the beat us in the world cup!

I purchased a desert pattern tarp on ebay, bit pricey but I liked it, which did the job nicely. Still after a flecktarn though.

S :red:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
RovingArcher said:
I German friend got back to me and here's the info he gave me.

H. Raeer GmbH
Altes Dorf 18 - 20
D-31137 Hildesheim
Germany

You can order it online at: www.raeer.com

The tarp is referred to as:
MTS Tarp, BW-tarn
Item-No. 47008.22

The tarp is not included in the online store. Normally a tarp is called *plane*, but for outdoor use, they call it a tarp.

Raeer is one of my favourite shops here in Germany, the Hildesheim store is much better then the one in Hannover. They have the swedish trangia stoves and the US square canteen to name just a few items I really like, and they are very cheap. I saw a pair of Yeti gaiters in there for €8 once!! Brilliant shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE