Base Layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Cotton long johns when it is cold and cotton T-shirt. Short sleeves when it is warm, long sleeves when cold.

What temperatures are you exposed for?
I want them for winter camping/trekking , so I need it to be moisture wicking

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Cotton is the best of the cheaper materials. I have skied and walked a lot with cotton under layers.
The best is silk, but it is expensive and difficult to get these days.
Modern materials are excellent for one day, then the moisture wicking properties diminish. Plus you will start smelling like an incontinent old goat.

Wool (specially Merino wool) is excellent too, but I find it hugely uncomfortable against my sensitive, tender skin. And is difficult to find in good quality, and more expensive.

My layering if I do physical work: Cotton under, cotton over that, snow protection.
I add a layer of wool if I do not do anything physical.
All layers loose fit.

Once the cotton t-shirt gets wet, I change it and let the first one dry, on top of backpack.
Same with socks. Change the innermost humid sock.

Reactions: KenThis

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Aldi have their excellent bamboo wicking T-shirts on a regular basis, or anything from their (or Lidl's) 'fitness special buys' should be perfectly fine.

As for cotton, there is a reason why American rescue teams say 'cotton kills'. In the UK, its damp and not that warm. And cotton loves moisture.

Synthetic is cheap (try TKMaxx), wool more expensive (although Aldi/Lidl will have them in).

Reactions: Toddy and Lou

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
"bamboo' is as close to synthetic as you can get. It is a marketing BS gimmick. The real name for it is Viscose.
Swedish and Norwegian armies have been using cotton for many decades without a fatality. My old unit had to do rescue duties and what kills is stupidity and bad preparedness.
Those armies operate between +25C and -50C or below.
Finnish army I believe (not 100% sure) do the same.

GCcoka is in Georgia. Colder than UK. Yes, cotton absorbs, which is exactly what you want. Hence the need to change.
No synthetic is a good insulator or moisture displacer once it is dirty. Including Viscose.

Silk is the nicest against the skin and wicks away the humidity, but does not warm much. When I used silk base layer I just had a thicker middle layer. Thicker cotton fabric in long johns and shirt.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
GCcoka is in Georgia. Colder than UK. Yes, cotton absorbs, which is exactly what you want. Hence the need to change.
No synthetic is a good insulator or moisture displacer once it is dirty. Including Viscose.

At low tempertures, when its dry, cotton is fine. But cotton can kill you if it gets wet, and even damp/sweaty is often not very nice to wear. I love my cotton shirts, but I wouldn't wear them out hiking. But viscose is fine. And who cares that much about if they get a bit dirty? Washing machines are around, even in Georgia.

Reactions: shaggystu and Toddy

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My point is if you spend several days hiking, the loss of insulation (and smell) of synthetics is a huge negative(Unless you carry a vintage washing machine with you :) ).
As a civilian, I used to carry 4 short sleeved Tshirts in summer. 2 long sleeved in winter.
Good enough for a week without washing and smelling to vile. The only items I used to handwash summertime was my inner socks. Not or the smell, for the fact that dirty socks can infect your feet.

For an one nighter - for sure you can wear synthetics!

No need to wear wet clothes. In cast very stupid to do so. Hence the changing.
If you get sweaty while hiking - you are overdressed. The whole idea of layering is that it is an easy way to adopt the layers to what you do.
Also layering not only traps more air ( insulation) but you can change layers easily. The second layer can be worn for weeks and weeks. Yes, you do smell a bit. Natural smell.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenThis

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In order of preference:

1) Merino wool
2) Silk
3) man-made - such as polyester/viscose mix
4) never cotton!

I used to wear cotton when I was a teenager but that's all I could afford. Cotton just isn't as warm for the weight in my opinion, does not wick as well, soaks up the moisture (and feels wet) and, once wet, takes a lot longer to dry. Merino wool doesn't dry very quickly either but smells a lot less than man-made. But the poly/viscose can be washed and dried in no time at all in any light breeze; I find it works just fine and is very well priced.

In the UK you can buy tops and bottoms for around £10 (for both, just search amazon for 'thermal base layer') for man-made and even some brushed cotton. Merino wool can be a lot more expensive but just occasionally comes up discounted.

So, for a tenner, you could try something out and see how you get on.

Reactions: Toddy

bearbait

I use merino base layers, long or short-sleeved according to season. If it's warm I just use the base-layer as a T-shirt.

Merino can cope with several days use without getting too stinky, whereas some man-made fibres can get a bit pongy during the first day's wear. I guess the choice depends on whether you're hiking alone or not!

Reactions: Toddy and Janne

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I would def. try and hold on for the merino for all the reasons above. Smart wool and Icebreaker have merino as soft as silk nowadays but it's very very expensive. I saw a merino base layer in Decathlon the other day that seemed reasonable and also very soft but I can't remember off hand how much it was. Always worth holding out for Aldi/Lidl and TK Maxx or eBay for a good deal.

I went through a phase a few years ago of buying myself wool underwear and it is totally brilliant

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Finnish army I believe (not 100% sure) do the same.

Finnish Defence Forces used 100 % cotton underwear from the late 1910s to the early 1990s, when they were replaced with the M91 underwear consisted of 50% of polyester, 33% of cotton and 17% of modacrylic. During the Continuation War, there were some long-range reconnaissance patrols that used the same cotton underwear for weeks at the time during the winter. However, they also wore wool mid-layer.

Kirsi Jussila - Clothing Physiological Properties of Cold Protective Clothing and Their Effects on Human Experience

Cotton just isn't as warm for the weight in my opinion, does not wick as well, soaks up the moisture (and feels wet) and, once wet, takes a lot longer to dry. Merino wool doesn't dry very quickly either but smells a lot less than man-made. But the poly/viscose can be washed and dried in no time at all in any light breeze; I find it works just fine and is very well priced.

Rita M. Crow and Randall J. Osczevski - The Effect of Fibre and Fabric Properties on Fabric Drying Times
"It was found that the drying time of a fabric is independent of its fibre type and thus regain, but dependent on the amount of water initially in the fabric which depends to a great extent on the thickness of the fabric."

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry guys, I'll go by my own experience rather than any 'report'. I know from my experience that cotton is the last material I will choose and that it takes much longer to dry. The report result is probably correct though, the thickness needed of cotton to get anything like the thermal properties of some modern fibres is much higher. You are, of course, entitled to your opinions :)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've got to agree with Janne from personal experience cotton is by far the best choice for practicality and cost.
Yes I have looked into the problems of it being sodden in cold conditions but I still think if sensible it's safe.
Please take responsibility for your own safety and comfort, this is just my opinion.

If I'm out in Winter I usually have two/three thin cotton layers, a wool layer and a showerproof/windproof layer.
I freely perspire and can't stand synthetics against my skin, plus they do smell very quickly.
If I'm working I'll strip layers get hot and bothered dry off and then dress up again.
I find cotton is great until sodden, once wet (mainly through perspiration) I will just swap it for a dry layer.
Yes you may have to carry a few more cotton layers but I don't mind that.
Swill out the sweaty cotton layers and hang to dry.

I love wool and if I could afford Merino I'd definitely be tempted to try, but my size and budget have left it prohibitively expensive.
In general I think cotton and wool compliment eachother well in the cold.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
This is off topic as the question is about the base layer.
One item of clothing I love is the Helly Hansen classic fleece. When I say classic, it is the one with a full zip in the front, and thumb holes in the extra long ( +5cm?) sleeves. Long hair/fibers on one side, and nothing (just the weave) on the other.

Not wind proof at all, but is super anyway.
I do wear it, as a single layer, with the hairs/fibers against my naked body if it is a bit nippy when I fish in Norway during summer.
It is fairly warm, protects the hands a little bit and is easy to wash daily to remove the fish poo, blood and slime.
I wear it with a layer or two under it in winter too.
I have worn a HH since the early 1970's. Same model.

The new HH models are just normal, bog standard fleeces.

Reactions: Lou

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE