Base camp storage boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Stanley Fat Max waterproof toolbox in camp if I'm canoeing, doubles as a seat and a wannigan.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a nice wooden box for my basecamp needs, attractive, doubles as a seat or low table and has an interior devider to keep the dirty stuff from the clean.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I fancy having a go at making a wooden Wannigan With dividers in etc how watertight can they be made. or is it still a question of dry bags etc. Or just pack stuff thats not bothered by Water.

Rich I thought about using an old tool box type thing too.

I seem to rememeber seeing plans for making one somewhere on my Tinterweb travels!!

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I use an Ali box from an army field kitchen, its light, robust and you can pick them up fairly cheap. Probs about double the size of the one in the video.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
No reason why they couldn't be reasonably water resistant Scrogger, if you oiled the wood then that will stop the wood taking in water and you could seal the joints with glue or sealant, maybe not traditional but it would work. You could use pitch to seal it if you wanted to use all natural materials. The only challenge would be the lid, but if you make the lid to fit over the top of the box then it will stop water getting in, the only way it'd get inside would be if the box were submerged.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The lid was left slightly open during a recent meet where wind and rain were...present...
The box ended up holding, quite securely and without leaking, about 1" of water by morning.....such a shame that my gear was still in the box as well!
Still - nothing ruined, just in need of drying out :)

pwb

Any ideas?

The metal one 10 secs into this vid of RM seems pretty robust, but no doubt costs a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1-CDNaSFs

Recommended plastic alternatives?

The Sportsman's Trunk in the Deben catalogue looks pretty sturdy.

£ 29.95 for the black one which jumps , for some reason ,to £ 51.95 for the green camo looking one :confused:

sportsmans_trunk.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Anchor Surplus have a variety of green boxes in alu and stainless last time I was in there (Xmas time!), mostly cookset boxes. Have a look on their website: www.anchorsupplies.com
Usually good value

No connection etc.............well not for thirty years anyway!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE