barrels

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
morning gang

how are we all?

now then on to business i have been on the blower (phone) to jasper at strike force to by me self a parachute for a communal shelter

now then he and a few others off this here site have said to store them, i should by a blue plastic sealable barrel

like many use for storing stuff when conoeing but where do you by them from?

drew

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
you can get the barrels from canoe suppliers but you will probably pay for it!

I used the drogue chute that came with mine (also from jasper btw) and sewed a channel round the edge and fitted a paracord drawcord. works a treat, I place it down opened out, dump the chute on it and then gather it up round it and pull the drawcord shut. Also it means that when i get to site to set up (i hang from a tree normally) all i do is place the 'bundle' down - open it up, throw the line attached over the branch and pull up into position, job done :D

It may sound like a bit of work to create the 'bag' but you will need a sewing machine to repair the cuts that have to be in the chute by law anyway;)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
have a look round any factories that process food stuffs in your area they use the blue barrels for syrup and starches and such or chemical factories - just make sure ya wash it out properly first :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try your local indian takeaways and restaurants Drew, they get them full of mango chutney and a are usually more than happy to get rid of them. A quick swill out with some hot soapy water and you're good to go.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was going to say the same as Shewie but over here they get curry powder in them too and that will never completely go. I had a mate who "obtained" them from a local curry house. He drove past the opening to the yard and saw them then turned went back around the block and parked his car with the engine running and the boot open and by the time he drove off his car was full of blue barrels.

He even told me where it was but I never got any. I did see something similar near the side of the road in the Lakes once. Meant to pick them up afterall they were making the place look untidy so it would have been the right thing to do.

Canoe shops sell them but you are talking a lot of money. For that price I am sure you could get a huge tarpaulin duffel bag from northface in a bright col;our for that sort of price.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I can give you a 35 ltr ish barrel with screw top free if you pay the postage( about 7 pounds) this is the last one i have.
Soloman

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What about a sleeping bag stuff sack?

Surely that'd be easier to humph around and take up less storage space?

Just my skinflint nature showing...

All the best,

Liam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What size chute are you getting Drew ? Beg and plead with the suppliers not to cut great holes in it and ask them if they'll keep the cords on for you.

I've seen what I think was a 60ft chute get packed into a 40L bag.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What about a sleeping bag stuff sack?

Surely that'd be easier to humph around and take up less storage space?

I'm storing my chute in a compression bag from the US Army Modular sleeping bag system. Easy to stuff it in and compresses right down as well. The straps make for easier carrying as well.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Would a kind of kit bag do? I'd have thought kind of those surplus kit bags would do. The ones with drawstring top and cylindrical. Would you stuff rather than fold?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Try your local swimming pool, the chlorine they used is granulated and normmaly comes in screw lid plastic containers. Not sure of the size but the ones i get will hold a 15kg sack of dog food. Most pools seem to have a load lying around and only need a rinse out to be ready for reuse.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Thanks to this post I now have a 40KG mango Chutney barrel for free.

It is about the same size as a 15KG Butane cylinder.

I have also asked about the barrels at the local swimming pool. They get tablets instead of crystals but they are apparently in a barrel about the same size as the one I got today.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE