Barrel Stove

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Oh yes, great value, that.
Postage:

US $118.80 (approx. £74.06)

Thirty quid for the kit, another seventy five for the postage... Then you've got to get yourself a barrel.

I've long been tempted to build a pech' (печь) or kakelugn in an izba, shed or log cabin, if ever I get a patch of land to build one.

There's a nice article (in Russian) here with a cut-away drawing and also a sketch of kitchen and oven tools (baking tray, pots, rake, frying pan, shovel, etc.) and another of a more primitive clay oven on what looks like a raised earth bed.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Drums on ebay seem to be a tenner, but you need to collect. 6" flue is around £40 a metre so you could put the project together for just under £240 including a 3m flue, thats a heck of a lot of stove for the money.

I've seen the kits on a German site in the past which was cheaper but can't find the link just now. I really want one of these stoves, don't need one, just want one but the problem is I've nowhere I could use it :(

I showed the wife the stove and mentioned the conservatory, she expressed her feelings and things got clearer when I got my vision back.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Drums on ebay seem to be a tenner, but you need to collect. 6" flue is around £40 a metre so you could put the project together for just under £240 including a 3m flue, thats a heck of a lot of stove for the money. ...

It isn't going to last very long though, using a pressed steel barrel. I'd guess it would rust through in a few months if you used it daily.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
It isn't going to last very long though, using a pressed steel barrel. I'd guess it would rust through in a few months if you used it daily.

Rust through? If it's used as a stove inside a shed or conservatory it should not get wet. Maybe you mean that it would burn through?

Maybe making a lining of refractory cement in the bottom, then two lines of firebricks with pieces of rebar in grooves to make a simple grate would keep the coals off the skin of the barrel, and the hot combustion gases will heat the metal above the fire and also the flue...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not according to reviews on the web where people have used them for years. You just burn wood and not coal in them. Line the base with bricks or use a grate (as per instructions) helps too. Replacing the barrel every 3-5 years at a tenner a time is no big deal if needed.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Rust through? If it's used as a stove inside a shed or conservatory it should not get wet. Maybe you mean that it would burn through?...

I mean rust.

When you burn hydrocarbons, carbohydrates, and anything organic, one of the things you're burning is hydrogen. When you burn hydrogen you create water, right there inside the firebox. If all the steel of the firebox isn't above the boiling point of water then you get condensation on the steel. Hence the rust. The steel is probably at least warm, so the rusting proceeds faster than it would otherwise. Yes, the outside might be nice and dry but that isn't what matters. It rusts through from the inside.

On top of that, burning things like wood produces a lot of acids which also condense on the steel surfaces and accelerate the corrosion.

In addition to firebox problems you will also get flue problems if the flue isn't hot enough to evaporate the condensates quickly. That's why people often use insulated flues. The gases heat the flue as they go up it and so the gases themselves cool down. Near the top of the flue you can sometimes see the nasty corrosive liquids trickling back down the flue.

People may well have used them for years, but I'd expect that to have been fairly light usage. Agreed that the cost of a barrel isn't prohibitive. :)

Steel is a poor material in fireboxes because it rusts readily. Cast iron is much better, which is probably why the link claims "cast iron barrel stove kit". It's a lie, in fact it's going to be mild steel.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are used a lot in the states and in Canada, a mate up there uses one to heat his cabin and uses it a lot. I can only go on what him and others have said about the stove, plus using bricks or grate will prolong the stoves life.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Steel is a poor material in fireboxes because it rusts readily. Cast iron is much better, which is probably why the link claims "cast iron barrel stove kit". It's a lie, in fact it's going to be mild steel.

No it's true. The "kit" is cast iron;just not the actual drum. And yes they do rust through. Just not in a few months; they usually last 2 or 3 years. Granted that's not with daily use, only Winter use.

However the ones used for trash incinerator barrels (outdoors) also last for 2 or 3 years.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Water created by combustion probably won't rust the barrel, I've got a cast iron wood burner in my house in Canada and not a speck of rust do I see. As far as a barrel stove for camping they are a good idea, I made one and use it in my yurt and sometimes outside instead of sitting around a smoky fire. The chimney makes sure there is no smoke in our eyes and the barrel evenly radiated heat to everyone sitting around it. I made mine vertically
land it takes a lot less room in the yurt. I also put two baffles in it and it really improves the efficiency by slowing down the escaping gasses and causing them to swirl before leaving the stove. All I did for a door was cut a square hole in the sde of the barrel and use two heavy duty hinges and a steel strap to hold it shut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE