Bark River Quality Control

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For the sake of completeness, you now need to find the other, mirror knife with a high sabre grind + convex edge on the opposite side to yours and the flat convex on the other. It'd make an interesting pairing.

On a more serious note, though, that is incredibly frustrating. I also wonder how on earth it can have happened, given that the company aspires to a position at the top end of hand-finished knives.

I hope that they sort it out for you - and speedily!

• Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think treat it lightheartedly at first, at least. It'd be a collector's item but for the fact that I bet it's not the first time it has happened. :lol:
Indeed...so many people have trouble choosing full convex vs a flat sabre and convex edge. They clearly made a mistake and shipped one of a special sprint run intended for the indecisive collector!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There exist traditional very unsymmetrical knives like the Yakut knife, of which there are right- and left hand versions. But this does not look like it would be intentional, on a special purpose knife different grinds on each side might even have a use.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There exist traditional very unsymmetrical knives like the Yakut knife, of which there are right- and left hand versions. But this does not look like it would be intentional, on a special purpose knife different grinds on each side might even have a use.
Obviously. Like chisels.

The BRKT is intended to be full convex and symmetrical.

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So talked to knivesandtools.co.uk, whom are brilliant, and have recognised this being a big mistake on Bark River's QC, and completely agree with my observations.

The EU supplier has gotten back to me, and as Chris has stated, Bark River support is more intended US side, rather than worldwide. The issue highlighted here is that if it is not bought directly from the main EU supplier, it needs to be tracked, as any warranty returns will incur import fees and taxes, unless this can be proved to have been paid already...which it has, but I don't have that evidence and will be down to the store the knife was purchased from to sort out with the EU dealer.

As it stands, there is little come back, and unlikely to get the same knife for the price paid if returned for a refund....so I have half lemon of a knife, and pretty much, the only offer is from Bark River is a regrind, which is what I was going to hopefully get done anyway, but in the UK and under my terms, and cheaper.

I am still yet to hear from Bark River directly.

I have decided to keep it, as I got it for a reasonable price, and fingers crossed it is the steel stated and the heat treat is good.

This was never meant to be a safe queen, and I am going to use it as the original intention, as a larger bushcraft knife....only time will tell if the grind is the only issue?

Would I buy another Bark River, so far the answer would be no, but I want to change my mind....lets see what response I get back?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s not bad news, I’ve returned knives and torches to the US. Ok, I’ve paid the shipping to get them there, but asked the companies to state on the customs form that it’s a repair. It’s less complicated than you think.

Personally with yours (if it were mine) I’d mark it for the attention of Mike Stewart and just send it direct to BRKT asking what is going on. I took a thumbnail sized chip/chunk out of my Canadian and didn’t pay to have a lot of metal removed or for the return shipping, customs or duty. Or the slight micro bevel, but that’s more easily dealt with.

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It’s not bad news, I’ve returned knives and torches to the US. Ok, I’ve paid the shipping to get them there, but asked the companies to state on the customs form that it’s a repair. It’s less complicated than you think.

Personally with yours (if it were mine) I’d mark it for the attention of Mike Stewart and just send it direct to BRKT asking what is going on. I took a thumbnail sized chip/chunk out of my Canadian and didn’t pay to have a lot of metal removed or for the return shipping, customs or duty. Or the slight micro bevel, but that’s more easily dealt with.
Thank you, I've taken note of that. It is a shame that big brand names like bark river, benchmade, spyderco, tops etc; do not have a warranty presence in the UK.

For ease of warranty in the UK, brands like Buck, leatherman and victorinox are really easy. They just need to be sent to Whitby & Co and the turn around from start to finish is normally a week.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So bark river has gotten back to me, here is their comments 'You are very right it shouldn't have left here like that.'

So once things have settled down on the shipping side, this will be looked into, for a return and regrind.

Fingers crossed....i will try it in between this time, and check the heat treat by putting it through a few tests, of normal intended use

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE