Bark cracked on bay tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
A quick question for any horticulturalist's or aboriculturist's (blimey i think i spelled that right!)...

I bought a corkscrew bay tree back in the autumn and planted it in the ground. I have now noticed that the bark on the stem has started to crack and lift up, along more or less the whole length of the stem.

Does this mean the tree is now on its way out? Anyone know what has caused this???

ta

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Not really an answer to your question but I had this happen to several willow trees in my garden after a hard frost. I'm hoping they survive too.:yikes:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A quick question for any horticulturalist's or aboriculturist's (blimey i think i spelled that right!)...

Well I dunno if you spelt it right but I know I'm not one of those... :)

I bought a corkscrew bay tree back in the autumn and planted it in the ground. I have now noticed that the bark on the stem has started to crack and lift up, along more or less the whole length of the stem.

Does this mean the tree is now on its way out? Anyone know what has caused this???

Was it protected from frost? I fear it may be dead. Probably the cold weather. I've lost one in Derbyshire which to be honest has been struggling for a few years. I moved it from Bath, where it did quite well in a sheltered garden, but in a more exposed and generally colder place it never quite managed.

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
Doesn't sound good, what are the leaves like? If they're brown and crispy its frost or wind damage and will be slow to recover or die. Check for bugs under the bark. If bark oozes resin it could have a bacterial infection. Check stems for life by scraping under bark, if brown and hard, its dead. Cut it back to green wood in spring, new shoots should emerge.
Hope this helps! If anyone wants to correct any of the above, please do, I'm no expert.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE