Bark Container for Hand Drills (Tutorial)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
A simple technique can be used to manufacture robust and versatile tube containers from bark. This container
is for the storage of hand drill sets, although by changing the dimensions of the material, arrow quivers and
other useful items can be produced.

Strip off a length of bark (lime in this case)

BARKTUBE1.jpg

Leave to dry in the sun and it will naturally curl inwards and shrink

BARKTUBE2.jpg

Split this in two lengthways, leaving a small over-hang on one side - the tube could then simply be glued and
bound at this stage. However, be warned, I lost one of these full of hand drills to the fire a few years back - one
of the students thought it was a piece of firewood !

BARKTUBE3.jpg

Taper down over-hang and strip outer bark off, don't cut too deeply

BARKTUBE4.jpg

Tube with bark removed

BARKTUBE5.jpg

Abrade tube to a smooth finish

BARKTUBE6.jpg

Cut out top and bottom lids

BARKTUBE7.jpg

Using resin, glue the over-hang to the other edge and bind some willow along length of tube

BARKTUBE8.jpg

Make hole at top of lid to accommodate cordage

BARKTUBE9.jpg

Glue items in place using pine resin

BARKTUBE10.jpg

Finish off by decorating lid and coat bindings in beeswax and buff down. Finally rub wood oil on exposed bark

BARKTUBE11.jpg

Tube will hold several hand drill sets and keep them safe and dry when out on the trail

BARKTUBE12.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know the annoying thing? You make this all look so straightforward and easy :rolleyes: :cool: It's just too tempting not to have a go!
Have you any idea of how much mess I can get my kitchen in every time you post another tutorial ?? :eek:

Seriously, nice one Patrick. Thanks again. :)

Sandbender has a San kit in a similar style; it holds fine, thin arrows as well as a fire-drill and hearth. I wonder how long it's going to take for the archers to play around with your tutorial?

Cheers,
Toddy

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
very very nice indeed my project list was long but now !!!!!!!!!!!!
some one said it before you need to put a book together what you have shown us all is fine bush CRAFT at its best :cool: ;) :D
keep em coming

James

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have an ambition to make hand drilling the sexiest thing in bushcrafting - easy, popular, connected with the environment and human history etc. etc. Your tutorial takes this to a new level.

Thankyou Patrick

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Patrick,

Explorer camps tend to be only a weekend long!

If you keep posting things like this I wont have time to look after the lads!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Another simply excellent tutorial. Not only do you do good work, you write a nicely illustrated tutorial! Greatly appreciated!!

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Amazing work and so original I must admit i've not come across these techniques in any books, Patrick.
This is just what this site needs - real examples of bushcraft in action!
Most of what I read on here seems to be discussion about buying more and more kit, rather than practising bushcraft. Your tutorials are inspirational and an example to us all - to get out and just do it !!! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE