Barefoot minimal shoe fans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Prompted by your post Snufkin, I've just looked at the VB range, many of which were new to me. Seems they've got a good bit lighter since I bought mine a couple of years ago.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I did read those comments. Normally VB shoes have a very generous footbox. Only way to really know is to try a pair on for size.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Pity the toe box is too narrow, good idea other wise, i have been wearing nothing but barefoot hiking shoes for over a year now and would never go back to traditional hiking boots, i currently use the New balance MT10's, New balance MT101, which are my main long distance shoes and also the Merrell barefoot trail gloves. If your into hiking trails then barefoot shoes are the way to go, dont buy into that not enough ankle support stuff, once your feet get used to these you will never go back to boots, just be careful not to overdo it until your feet and legs get used to them.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Pity the toe box is too narrow, good idea other wise, i have been wearing nothing but barefoot hiking shoes for over a year now and would never go back to traditional hiking boots, i currently use the New balance MT10's, New balance MT101, which are my main long distance shoes and also the Merrell barefoot trail gloves. If your into hiking trails then barefoot shoes are the way to go, dont buy into that not enough ankle support stuff, once your feet get used to these you will never go back to boots, just be careful not to overdo it until your feet and legs get used to them.

How do you find the merrells. Are yours the leather ones?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
These were on sale at www.sportpursuit.co.uk last time I checked.not sure if still available but I think some were about 1/2 price so could be worth a look.
Personally my innov8s are as barefoot as I ever want to get.
Cheers , Simon

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I hadn't read the comments on the link, It just goes to show how important it is to try before you buy, especially with footwear.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
What is meant by 'barefoot' ? Heel free soles ? Super lightweight ? Or to be worn baht socks ? Cheers

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It means that as far as possible the shoe should not get in the way of the function of the foot. Features are no heels, wide foot box allowing toes to spread, light weight, flexible. The idea is to let you walk as if you were barefoot while offering some protection from the ground.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
What is meant by 'barefoot' ? Heel free soles ? Super lightweight ? Or to be worn baht socks ? Cheers

Barefoot or minimal shoes come out of the barefoot running world, basically it is not always practical to run barefoot and these style of shoes offer protection from the elements without inhibiting proper foot movement, they tend to have a flexible thin sole, with a wide toebox so that your foot can spread properly and no, or very minimal heel lift. Beware, once you get used to minimal shoes you won't be able to wear anything else comfortably. They make really good stalking shoes as you can feel the ground and you can't stomp along as you would in normal boots (not without pain anyway). There is loads of info out there if you google barefoot running, some folks are pretty evangelical, so be wary!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It means that as far as possible the shoe should not get in the way of the function of the foot. Features are no heels, wide foot box allowing toes to spread, light weight, flexible. The idea is to let you walk as if you were barefoot while offering some protection from the ground.
You type quicker:)!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers for the replies folks , I find that you can stalk or yer can't but I can understand the concept
Been keen to try them fingers slips for that reason. I remember years back seeing a hippy type in Manchester that walked barefoot through town. He appeared to have no ankles due to the strength he'd built up from years of being barefoot. Guess its like the red Indians etc with there moccasins an flipflops and abos how they still have great ankle strength and manage all sorts of terrain......just like our own ancient ancestors that put there blood into the soil of our great land.
I can see it as equally part of bushcraft as we encompass our old and often better ways. Thank you.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
As has been said on here, once you try them, and given what you've said, there could well be no going back!

After Yule an Xmas.....
Any recommended barefoot boots round the 150 mark...which is what I'd spend on some lowe-esque type. I can't see me putting my trickers away though ....

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
There are a number of options.

1. Vivo barefoot have one out which is very light although some people say the footbox is too narrow. Google Vivo barefoot uk and you will find it in the men's range.

2. Bison bushcraft have a summer leather boot which is quite light (900g), flat soled with very soft leather and a wide foot box. I have a pair and like them very much. I plan to use them as my winter footwear in the woods as the five fingers don't really work too well in cold and wet. (OK in warm and wet)

3. More extreme is Feelmax, a Finnish company which make very, very lightweight footwear out of synthetic materials. Their Kuuva boot is currently unavailable but the company is promising a new product range later this month. Their website (google Feelmax shoes) will have the info.

4. The Inov8 Roclite 400 goretex boots are more conventional. very light, waterproof. I've not tried them but have heard good reports.

I'm sure others here will have more suggestions

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE