Barber pole split video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A while back there was a video posted on here of a tree being felled, that did a spontaneous barber pole split. I can't seem to find it via the search function of this forum, or youtube. I remember the video, you have the tree in centre of shot, you hear the chainsaw being started off camera, and then just as the feller walks into shot and while he's about 10ft from the tree, it just goes BANG, and splits with a beautiful barber pole split.

Anyone remember posting the video or bookmarked it?

Cheers

Julia

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, well there is a cracking shot of one happening on this vid

[video=youtube;2YAf61zz5VU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAf61zz5VU[/video]

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Not sure I'd call it beautiful.....bloomin dangerous effect of pent up tension in the tree.;) Makes for good video though!
A similar effect can happen when rip sawing boards, had an Iroko board (3" thick) crack, spring apart and twist itself into two un-useable pieces as an apprentice,:yikes: nearly had to change my pants.
Had it happen a few times since but not quite in as spectacular a way:D

Rob.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Only had it happen 4 or 5 time before and all on ash, one took off my helmet and threw if around 40 foot away, defiantly brown trouser time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE