barbed wire

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've hated the stuff all my life, haven't got a good word to say about the bl88dy stuff. Caused both myself and the horses countless bad and expensive injuries over the years................

Wicked evil dreadful stuff, and it's everywhere you go; oh and did I mention how much I hate it?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like the picture - and I like barbed wire too :)

Used properly it prevents stock from leaning on and pushing over fences. It also does convey exactly the message in the picture - which is a good thing :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The picture is great, Robbi, it's just one of those things that gets me on a bit of a rant! But like most things, it's the missuse of it that gets my goat.

I realise all the benefits of it used in the right place and for the right purpose; it's the rolls of stuff you come across lying half-buried in the strangest of places that leap up and grab my and the horse's legs! But then that's people, not barbed wire........Rant over :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I once took a girl for a walk over the Downs when a herd of cattle suddenly appeared and startled her into jumping over a barbed wire fence that she cleared except for her the rear of her trousers which were firmly caught. It was my unenviable job to disentangle her and as a gentleman I averted my eyes.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
my brother hunts game with 2 labs. one jumped a barbed wire fence and ripped itself open. thankfully me brother had his rifle with him.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sorry Robbi, I shouldn't have gone off on one like that....................I'll go to bed tonight with a crown of barbed wire on my head to scourge myself!

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
I once took a girl for a walk over the Downs when a herd of cattle suddenly appeared and startled her into jumping over a barbed wire fence that she cleared except for her the rear of her trousers which were firmly caught. It was my unenviable job to disentangle her and as a gentleman I averted my eyes.

that was your opportunity to pull out your camera phone and make a viral video.

or at least get 250 quid from youve been framed

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
The thread title had me off on a tangent...

th

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Open Plains is a great movie about how barbed wire changed the face of the wild West. I'm not a fan of Kevin Costner but have to admit it's a good film.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Liked the picture.

OTOH, I'm reading a book at the moment called 'Vimmy' about the Canadian assault on Vimmy Ridge in April 1917 (my great, grand uncle took part and died there). The barbed wire laid out by both sides was a colossal impedance to infantry trying to get across no-mans land. It makes for interesting reading as to how they took care of this problem before the men went "over the top".

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to erect high tensile fences for the Forestry Commission back in the day and sometimes used high tensile barbed wire. When it snaps under tension it re-coils itself at very high speed over quite a distance. You'd hear a "dink!" and then a whip, whip, whip as it gained speed and the whole gang would hit the deck as quickly as they could. Safest place as hiding behind a tree could end in serious trouble as the stuff would wrap around the tree and you at great speed. Oh the fun we had!
Not a fan of barb wire in general though it does have it's uses. Though encouraging "natural" barb wire like brambles along a fence line can be useful too. In fact some Crime Prevention Officers recommend planting spiky plants 'round your property as a deterrent to thieves - and it's a useful hiding place for wee birdies to hide from predators. Though Spaniels seem attracted to bramble patches to be rescued for some reason!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE