bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
Dont make it to thick ,pat the dough down to about an inch or so ,this helps to cook it throughout !

P6250019800x600.jpg

:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've used the following post to make the best bannock I've tasted. I've tried several different recipes but keep comeing back to this one.
john Fenna's bannock
I tend to fry a pack of bacon before hand in the pan I cook my bannock in, the bannock soaks up the bacon grease. NOTE cheap bacon from a supermarket will not do for this

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get the heat "just right" - too cool and you take forever and achieve a hard and 'dead' bannock - too hot and you get a black crunchy crust and raw centre.
Check that it is not burning occassionally, but not so often that you lose the heat.....

Keep trying after many disasters!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I have have very good results cooking it on disposible barbeque mesh over embers. Cooks fast and evenly.

If I was doing it, I wouldn't make it anything like 1 inch thick, bannock will rise considerably. I probably squash it to about 1cm thick.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Cooking on a rock works best and minimizes washing up.

It can be hard to get to cook through before the outside burns (with my fire skills). The latest trick I learned was to cook it in small balls or biscuits which cook through more easily.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
i managed to make some last night i used 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of egg powder, 1 cup of milk powder and some salt.

it worked out fine, cooked it in a pan which took 40 mins but it tasted quite nice. my only draw back is the mess i made of my hands mixing the stuff.

had it with some polony i had in the fridge that sliced and kebabed.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If you put it in a plastic bag you can mix it all in there, keeping your hands clean.
You can either tip it out or cut the corner off the bag and squeeze it out if making a slightly runny mix.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE