Bannock (Again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I know Bannocks have been done to death but thought I would post this anyway to make you all hungry if nothing else!

Firstly sorting all of the mix (2 part self raising flour, 1 part milk powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 6tsp egg powder, raisins and 8 tsp brown sugar) all mixed

01-4.jpg

02-4.jpg

03-4.jpg

add water to the mix to make a sticky dough

07-4.jpg

Whilst this is being preped get a good but not to large fire burning

04-4.jpg

Arty shot of fire

05-4.jpg

Spread the fire and heat some oil in a pan

06-3.jpg

Place the dough in the pan and fry for a couple of seconds pressing down slightly

08-4.jpg

Then prop the pan next to the fire

09-3.jpg

Turn as the bannock starts to brown

10-5.jpg

Try and fight away the bannock zombies until the bannock is cooked (If you can flick the bannock and it sounds hollow it is done)

11-3.jpg

Remove from the fire......... tear and share (I did not even get a chance to take a picture of the finished article before an arm came into shot)

12-2.jpg

30 seconds later.......................

13-2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this coulanary adventure!

Regards

Pignut

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cooking them slowly is the key!

Dont be affraid to move em away from the fire

Regards

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
After being inspired by Pignut's thread, I made my first Bannock on saturday night. The ingredients used were the same as Pignuts above.

I cooked the Bannock in my rectangular Trangia mess tin. It turned out really well and tasted fantastic, was well chuffed with myself. However it was more like a cake consitency rather than bread, I think this was down to me adding too much water - prior to cooking it resembled wallpaper paste, and not dough-like in the slightest!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
After being inspired by Pignut's thread, I made my first Bannock on saturday night. The ingredients used were the same as Pignuts above.

I cooked the Bannock in my rectangular Trangia mess tin. It turned out really well and tasted fantastic, was well chuffed with myself. However it was more like a cake consitency rather than bread, I think this was down to me adding too much water - prior to cooking it resembled wallpaper paste, and not dough-like in the slightest!

Glad you had a go!

Sounds like to much water, though mine are cake like (Tis the Egg powder that makes it go like that!)

Regards

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
me and my 2 year old make these in the oven at home it is a great way to practice and test new recipies!
I do wish folk would stop posting bannock recipes containing milk powder - since becoming "dairy allergic" several years ago it means that most people offer me poisonous bannock around the camp-fire. I must admit though that I don't think I have ever used the same recipe twice, crushed nuts, forest fruits and salami have found their way into mine at various points in the past.

I think this was down to me adding too much water - prior to cooking it resembled wallpaper paste, and not dough-like in the slightest!
Bob, if you don't have the ingredients to re-thicken the mixture,
keep adding liquid until you have a pancake mix - you'll need a bit more oil to cook them but they're just as nice.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Throw in lots of Klim! - All the more for me!!!!!!!!!!
Fades to evil laughter.........
Actually that must be a real downer Ogri - if you had come to our Easter meet you would not have been able to sample my Onion and Wild Mushroom Bannock (not that anyone else got a look in either I got very selfish on that one). Milk powder is a staple ingredient of my bannock, along with dried egg and Veg suet. I like a very cakey texture.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
campfire pancakes like the sound of that - with a bit of birch sap on for a bit of a sweetness, lurvely!

They are good!

Beware the lumberjack pancake!!

Pancake mix as above, but with big chunks of smokey bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup!

Yum Yum!!!!!

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Probably just me being a nerd here, but how big is a 'part'? You specified particular amounts of baking powder, egg and wot not, but flour and milk powder are in 'parts'. Looking at your pictures would 1 part = 1 cup be somewhere about right?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Probably just me being a nerd here, but how big is a 'part'? You specified particular amounts of baking powder, egg and wot not, but flour and milk powder are in 'parts'. Looking at your pictures would 1 part = 1 cup be somewhere about right?

You beat me to it!

If you don't mind me asking - how big is your part, compared to your tsp?

I'm sure I could have phrased that better! :yikes:

Mang

Settler
Quite a while ago I rang up to order something off Ray Mears' site and had a Bannock suggested to me using beer instead of water...might have been called a Scottish or Scotsmans Bannock (but equally this could be a red herring).

Has anyone tried this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE