Banned dogs - thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has any change petition ever resulted in law without it being something a big political party supported enough to drive it through? AFAIK they've only got to the response stage and a polite letter thanking the signatories and saying no to it or if even more interest a short debate in HoC or HoL with nothing else. I'm possibly very cynical but in this case the way these petitions get effectively swept away is a good thing. Bad laws are almost always worse than no laws.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Always get a black and white dog,the licence will be cheaper.
Chromatic discount? Sorted.
20230718-062847.jpg

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I'm seeing this discussed quite a bit due to various stories in the news regarding XL bullys. People suggesting no point banning dogs, no bad dogs just bad owners, better to make owners have licences etc etc

Whats everyones thoughts on the matter? I'd agree that bad owners create bad dogs, but at the same time, I've said it elsewhere, I've yet to meet an XL bully owner that doesn't fit into a very typical profile...

My personal opinion is that as a dog owner I don't have an issue with licences - I'd prefer not for the sake of money and paperwork, but not overly bothered.
However I find there are many breeds - in my opinon some great (Alsations, Dobermans etc), others less so (Pitbulls, xl bullys etc) that fall into the category of "ego dogs" and I see a lot of poorly trained owners with these ego dogs than well trained owners and within these I think there are people who get them because they look cool/tough and those that want something mean to guard them due to nefarious interactions and locations...

I know some great alsation and doberman owners that aren't afraid to be silly with their dogs, talk silly, and you can see the dogs have the utmost respect and adoration for their owners.... I just know some polar opposites with some less relaxed dogs.
I’d argue Alsatian and guard dog types are much worse they are bred to be wary and dislike strangers.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Running a car is expensive too. Legally required insurance is part of the cost.
The cost of keeping a pet was discussed on radio 4 this lunch time. It was suggested that owners need to discuss the cost of ownership of a pet, in this case with refuge and rescue charities.
Not enforceable and taking yet more money out peoples pockets I’m not a fan off chavs with pittbulls either but I’m not willing to pay insurance for a dog.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a programme on dogs of a segment of one that looked at food costs for different sized breeds. Small toy, small terrier, collie, lab and great dance iirc. They showed the volume of feed each breed needed a month and cost. Obviously bigger meant more food and higher cost. But then they factored in lifetime of the dog. Terrier lived 18 years typically but ate little, toy less and ate less. Great done ate a lot but typically lived 6 years. Lab ate a bit less than the great dane but lived 14 plus years so you need a lot more money overall to keep it.

I found it all interesting and obvious but then there's breed health. Vet bills can wipe out people's budgets easily. But ppl buy on looks not health.

Then there's insurance. Ppl see it as just for vet bills but it is for third party cover too. All those dog owners who follow the idea of no insurance just putting the insurance money into a saving account for paying later vet bills forget about third party.

Then there's the issue over responsible owners vs irresponsible owners.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Then there's insurance. Ppl see it as just for vet bills but it is for third party cover too. All those dog owners who follow the idea of no insurance just putting the insurance money into a saving account for paying later vet bills forget about third party.
Not everyone. To give an idea of costs our Lab cost £140 to insure a month, £1,680 a year. If we get another dog we'll go down the route of putting money aside for vets bills and have looked into liability insurance. At first glance our house insurance probably covers it but if we bought a separate policy it is only a tiny fraction of the normal pet insurance.

As i think the people who most need it are least likely to get it perhaps it should be added to a dog licence cost, but again, only if it is enforced for everyone.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Crikey, either you have a Crufts winning dog, something with a pre existing ilness or maybe shopped round for the worst deal.
Our young Bull Lurcher costs £8.50 a month to insure although that doesn't cover fire and theft ;)

Reactions: Poacherman

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Neither, she was an elderly chocolate lab and the premiums shot up when she reached old age. Shopping about produced similar premiums.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've found this site that might help explain things: https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-dog-insurance#nogo

A Lab would cost 50% more than a cross breed to insure and the premiums for a 12 year old dog would be almost 5x a one year old. Ours was 14 at her last renewal.

The point I'm making is when you most need cover is when your dog starts to age and that's when in becomes expensive. So if you're thinking about putting the money aside rather than taking out insurance then consider the costs for the life of the dog not just when it's cheap to insure.

Reactions: demographic

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've found this site that might help explain things: https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-dog-insurance#nogo

A Lab would cost 50% more than a cross breed to insure and the premiums for a 12 year old dog would be almost 5x a one year old. Ours was 14 at her last renewal.

The point I'm making is when you most need cover is when your dog starts to age and that's when in becomes expensive. So if you're thinking about putting the money aside rather than taking out insurance then consider the costs for the life of the dog not just when it's cheap to insure.
Fair comment, we kept our last dog going for 14 years and towards the end it was pretty expensive.
Eventually it became a quality of life issue and we got him put down.

This one is a VERY mixed breed (4 breeds I know of in the mix) and I do know that mongrels have something like an average 1.2 year extra lifespan over the average of the breeds going into them.
For instance say mongrel had parents with 10 and 12 year average lifespan breeds I would have expected the mongrel offspring to have an average lifslespan of 11 years.
Seems its slightly better and its more like 12.2 or so.

Mind, that assumes mine doesn't get run over when he trashes off chasing a deer...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just heard on the radio, yet someone else has died from a xl pittie attack. Owner being charged with murder.
Maybe charging the owners with assault or murder is the way to go.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Just heard on the radio, yet someone else has died from a xl pittie attack. Owner being charged with murder.
Maybe charging the owners with assault or murder is the way to go.
Charging with murder is the only way to go in every circumstance like that

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Dogs don’t murder people for no reason Iff that is the case then a blanket ban all on dogs is necessary
Pretty sure Murder is not the right term. If people are going to comment on legal enforcement and laws maybe good to use an appropriate term.

1696459971494.png

Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE