Banned dogs - thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well, after putting my lad on the scales it seems he's 25 kilos and borderline candidate for Zyklon B inhalation.

I've cut his meals and re-branded him as whippet status.
Doesn't seem impressed but lookin on the bright side, his food bill has gone down.
Yesterday...
20230718-062850.jpg

This morning...
young-whippet-in-black-and-white-greg-and-chrystal-mimbs.jpg

To be fair ... he looks aggressive. :)

( I bet he is also responsible for that Graffiti - give him an ASBO as a warning shot !! )

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So, dogs cost too much?

Many dog owners I have met talk about Vets bills as a matter of course.

Dogs not for me.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well, after putting my lad on the scales it seems he's 25 kilos and borderline candidate for Zyklon B inhalation.
Same with our Lab. Due to problem with her joints we were advised to keep her under 25kg, hard enough to restrict a labs food at the best of times without having to look the poor girl in the eye and say you've had your last ever bowl of food.

I know it's a daft idea for many reasons but surely those who keep dogs as weapons will just breed something else just under the scale. Keep a pack of something rather than one large beast.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Same with our Lab. Due to problem with her joints we were advised to keep her under 25kg, hard enough to restrict a labs food at the best of times without having to look the poor girl in the eye and say you've had your last ever bowl of food.

I know it's a daft idea for many reasons but surely those who keep dogs as weapons will just breed something else just under the scale. Keep a pack of something rather than one large beast.
I've got a cat with 'issues' I am happy to move on.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
So, dogs cost too much?

I wouldn't say that. Like most things in life they have costs which I think people need to understand before they get one. Ours was worth every penny we spent on her. But there are plenty of people who will try and extract money from you, I think Which? has recently run something about high vets bills.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To be fair ... he looks aggressive. :)

( I bet he is also responsible for that Graffiti - give him an ASBO as a warning shot !! )
Graffiti?
He aint done nuffink guvnor.

The bottom pic was just a white and black whippet photo I found on the net that had similar markings.
The top pic is indeed our dog.
Thing is, we got a Border Collie pup last time we had a dog, then he grew.
Still the right shape but got bigger. First we thought he must have has a black Lab father. He carried on growing and eventually ended up more like a Border Newfoundland cross and a fair sized lad.
Gentle soul who never hurt anything I know of but when we got the pup we really didn't expect him to get as big as he did.

He's part of the reason Im against blanket bans, well that and I just think they're far too simplistic.

Reactions: Macaroon and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Graffiti?
He aint done nuffink guvnor.

The bottom pic was just a white and black whippet photo I found on the net that had similar markings.
The top pic is indeed our dog.
Thing is, we got a Border Collie pup last time we had a dog, then he grew.
Still the right shape but got bigger. First we thought he must have has a black Lab father. He carried on growing and eventually ended up more like a Border Newfoundland cross and a fair sized lad.
Gentle soul who never hurt anything I know of but when we got the pup we really didn't expect him to get as big as he did.

He's part of the reason Im against blanket bans, well that and I just think they're far too simplistic.

Exactly that.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
So, dogs cost too much?

Many dog owners I have met talk about Vets bills as a matter of course.

Dogs not for me.

My last Springer cost us thousands in the last few years (died a year ago); she was blind and had mobility issues as well as other problems but she was still wagging her tail. Worth every penny :)

let sleeping dogs lie.jpg

Last edited:

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
So what about a seriously overweight Chihuahua?
They can be nippy little blighters. Bit too much white round the eyes for my taste as well.

Mebbe a portly Corgi? Oooo, proper ankle biters them.
We need details man.
Fat is dead useless weight I'm on about lean muscle mass breeds that exceed that threshold.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
So what has been established ?

You can't do it via weight class ( and what a stupid idea that would be ) as you'd need to go around monitoring via a weird weight watcher / police control force.

And to do it via pedigree is purely genetics driven - so pedigrees = Bad , Mongrels = Good?

I don't think I've seen any suggestions for any sane and pragmatic suggestions that can be enforced into action with out massive limitations.
It's not weight I'm on about its lean solid powerful muscle mass fat is dead useless weight obesity and overfeeding dogs is bad though n should not be encouraged.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
BTW size isn't everything. I've got a terrier. It's got a hard, locking bite, it's powerful next muscles can really rag other animals around and it's got a very high pain threshold. I mean it's a terrier, they're tough and fight their corner. It's a heavy one at 7.1kg fit weight but once got up to 9.5kg. It's a border terrier and would see off a labrador, in fact it has!

Our dog is capable of more harm than a much bigger dog but it's not got the temperament to attack unless severely provoked. Even then it is smart enough not to actually want a fight so uses dog communication of noise and fury without serious contact.

As to my expertise. I'm an expert in my dog and my dog only. I understand it and it understands me. I have a good understanding of the breed having met hundreds over the years.

I have never met an xl bully only read up a bit on them. As such I have a healthy level of wariness about the breed but do not know what the best solution to stopping dog attacks by this breed or others.

I am confident that my dog will not be among those dogs who attack people. I believe that because of the way I raised the dog from a puppy. All this makes me suspect the real solution will be more about the human owners than the breed or type of dog.
I highly doubt he can kill a grown man though n that's what I'm getting at.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Sorry if my earlier post was inappropriate. It's just that it seems to me that far too many people react to the obviously terrible incidents with poorly thought out solutions that are more than likely going to end up being counter productive if they ever got enacted.

Can I also say that what value are comments when questioned by others get the reply "I'm no expert"? You espoused an idea based on your knowledge and experience but then kind of admit that it's not worth much or you can't back it up.
It's just a opinion iff you are a expert or anybody else is feel free to educate me I'm listening.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
So what has been established ?

You can't do it via weight class ( and what a stupid idea that would be ) as you'd need to go around monitoring via a weird weight watcher / police control force.

And to do it via pedigree is purely genetics driven - so pedigrees = Bad , Mongrels = Good?

I don't think I've seen any suggestions for any sane and pragmatic suggestions that can be enforced into action with out massive limitations.
Breeders should be checked n only sell dogs that don't exceed the lean muscle threshold enforcing that is not hard .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE