Bamboo survival walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
There was an article on making something like this in SWAT years ago! I decided that filled with kit I would just be carrying the weight in my hands rather than in my pack though.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've thought about bamboo as a hiking/walking staff because of all its inherant properties - strength, weight etc, but I really can't be doing with cramming it full of nik-naks to assist in a "survival" situation.
If I want the equipment with me, I'll carry meaningfull quantities in a pack or my pockets, then they can't be lost during a fall or be dropped by cold fingers.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
I've been thinking about having a walking stick just old enough to make good fuel for a small fire. Just made from greenwood and left a few months to dry out enough to burn well and easily chopped to the right size for a small fire.

Does that make sense, or just foolish? :D

Al

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
both posts seem to be saying why bother with the stick lol, thanks.

Not my intention BB,
I believe that a stick or staff is a valuable aid to walking over rough ground. There are even elemants that I'd consider "handy" to have close to hand such as the compass. But fishing line coiled tight enough to fit inside the bamboo stick would soon take on a set and lay on the water like a coiled slinky. Likewise with other "necessities" if you need them, carry them in their own right rather than as an "all-encompassing get-out-of-jail-free kit".

ATB

Ogri the trog

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There was an article on making something like this in SWAT years ago! I decided that filled with kit I would just be carrying the weight in my hands rather than in my pack though.

I remember that. There was cracking story about an old poacher who used to stash his kit in one, the police never caught him with the evidence.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i think the idear is quite good ,i cant see the walking stick ending up to heavy, and you would use fishing braid instead of line so it doesnt crimp like ogri said ,goodthinking there mate,.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
I've been thinking about having a walking stick just old enough to make good fuel for a small fire. Just made from greenwood and left a few months to dry out enough to burn well and easily chopped to the right size for a small fire.

Does that make sense, or just foolish? :D

Al

Not a bad idea if you use a stick. Easier to go without one for a while than to go without dry firewood. Burns better than a fibreglass walking pole I'd imagine. 8]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE