Bamboo fire saw help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all!

So I'm trying to get information on the bamboo fire saw. I am well practiced at the method, I'm just trying to get an understanding behind it, something I can't find on google!

So I already know that the friction creates heat which ignites the dust, but I was wondering how hot does it get? Is it going to be similar Fire piston at about 400 degrees C?
Also why does rubbing bamboo together work but not many others? Obviously there is the fire plough but there is something unique about the saw method!

Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi all!

So I'm trying to get information on the bamboo fire saw. I am well practiced at the method, I'm just trying to get an understanding behind it, something I can't find on google!

So I already know that the friction creates heat which ignites the dust, but I was wondering how hot does it get? Is it going to be similar Fire piston at about 400 degrees C?
Also why does rubbing bamboo together work but not many others? Obviously there is the fire plough but there is something unique about the saw method!

Thanks in advance
Tom

hhmm.. no answer from me, but the australian aborigines use fire saws involving a hardwood saw (usually edge of spearthrower) on softwood base (shield or dry log)..... maybe it was just less common then drill in some areas?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE