Bamboo base layers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with bamboo base layers, specifically the Deerhunter brand?

I have been putting off a new base layer top after my last gave up the ghost. Of course I was going to go for merino, but after seeing the icebreaker stuff in person, and concluding the 160gsm and 200gsm both too thin, and the 260gsm rather expensive, I've decided to go a cheaper route and put the additional funds to something else.

I was just about to buy an Ussen Baltic top, as I quite like the wicking of polypro, and even though I would prefer not to stink it is after all going to be used for camping away from the missus and I don't mind my own stink lmao.

My only experience with bamboo viscose is with socks, which I absolutely adore. I am happy to try bamboo as a layer, too, but I'd like to confirm it's comparable to the alternatives in terms of warm to weight, and resistance to wear.

Anyway, any input welcome!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have both bamboo and Merino base layers... both super comfy.
I much prefer Merino for the performance though - and with Aldi Merino even I can afford it!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Have some bamboo shirts (well, there's bamboo in them). They feel great against the skin, wick very well and dry very fast, but they sure aren't strong. Develop holes very fast and stretch a lot. Also the same problem as all synthetics: smell.

Icebreaker 200 is far from too thin imo though. I have 150, 200 and 260 weight stuff by Icebreaker, and almost never use the 260. When i use it, it's as a mid layer. A base layer should be thin and wick well. The 260 just starts to collect moisture instead of wicking it out to the outer layers unless you're in very low temperatures..

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have both bamboo and Merino base layers... both super comfy.
I much prefer Merino for the performance though - and with Aldi Merino even I can afford it!

And the Aldi Merino base and mid layers are back in store ;)

Popped into my local Aldi and it looks like it'd been ravaged. Only XL size left for men (I'm a small/medium) so I guess I'll have to make a trip to Hamilton / Cambuslang to check their stock. Had a wee feel and it seems not bad, very similar to my decathlon merino long johns which have stood the test of time and in fact have become softer to wear through use!

Have some bamboo shirts (well, there's bamboo in them). They feel great against the skin, wick very well and dry very fast, but they sure aren't strong. Develop holes very fast and stretch a lot. Also the same problem as all synthetics: smell.

Icebreaker 200 is far from too thin imo though. I have 150, 200 and 260 weight stuff by Icebreaker, and almost never use the 260. When i use it, it's as a mid layer. A base layer should be thin and wick well. The 260 just starts to collect moisture instead of wicking it out to the outer layers unless you're in very low temperatures..

Very interesting. So you choose depending on the weather / intended activity? Do you run hot or cold and in what circumstance do you choose what?

Bamboo fiber is pure marketing. Viscose ( rayon) where bamboo cellulose has been the base.

Can you explain that second sentence I don't quite follow you.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Hi, I wear bamboo base layers and t shirts all year round. I really like them and have found them great for all activities from dog walking in the early mornings to helping with D of E expeditions to working in the woods. I have found that they work pretty well, they are warm, don't smell like synthetics do, wick effectively and feel soft enough to wear all the time. I don't know how they compare to to merino as I haven't used it as a base layer. I buy them from a company called BAM, they quite often have a sale, full price they are quite expensive but they seem to last well. Regards Tim

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I too have bought a lot from BAM. Last year they had some t-shirts in olive and sand colours, but not now. If you have bamboo clothing that dries fast its because it does not have much bamboo fibre mixed with synthetic. Bamboo based clothing is not synthetic and it takes a lot longer to dry than cotton. I have used my bamboo t-shirts, socks and underwear a fair bit over the last four years and am confident to say that it does take longer to smell bad than cotton and a lot longer than even silver treated synthetic, not quite as good as wool, but it takes longer to dry than any clothing I have encountered. Its great if the air is dry. Loved it in Namibia and was very happy with it driving around the Western US for three weeks. However a chap I was canoeing with in Sweden got some bamboo gear get wet and it took days to dry out.

I think I have bought more BAM stuff than I need. As said, they often have sales and I have bought my stuff when its been marked down. I wear it at home but would only take it on expedition if I was going somewhere arid.

There is a lot of marketing involved but saying it is all marketing isn't entirely accurate either. Its not a wonder fabric, but it does have some different properties which can be worth having.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Very interesting. So you choose depending on the weather / intended activity? Do you run hot or cold and in what circumstance do you choose what?

Indeed, depending on circumstances. The 150 weight icebreaker and bamboo shirts are used most during summer, or when i'm going someplace warm (some of my friends have too hot houses :D) They are the only short sleeved shirts i have though, so get a bit more use due to that (i really don't like the feel of cotton). 200 weight icebreaker when it starts to get a bit chilly for me and the 260 is mostly used for sleeping in if it's cold, or base layer during the winter. I also use the 260 as a mid layer or light fleece during spring/fall.

I'm someone who runs pretty hot and make a lot of use of layers to regulate temperature.

Edit: To Claybomb above me: True, but most shirts are made pretty thin, or atleast those i've seen sofar. In that respect, they dry pretty fast. (A bit like a thin wool baselayer, and a thick wool sweater. Big difference). It wouldn't be my choice to wear in cold weather though. Like merino wool as a base too much for that ;).

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No difference between Viscose made from Bamboo, Sugar Cane, Pine or Birch.
No antibacterial properties found after research.

Viscose is nice against the skin as the individual fibres are very thin, almost Silk like.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
I would agree with Chris that bamboo takes a while to dry once wet. I guess it is very much a case of horses for courses. Interesting that it takes longer than merino to dry.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Out of interest, if you are in a wet environment which baselayer synthetic or wool?

Wet hot? Or wet cold? And can you stand wool next to your skin without itching?

Wet cold and I'd prefer wool (good wool that's less itchy) but a good polypropylene will still work; especially if you can't take the itch. Wet hot and I prefer thin cotton (probably as the ONLY layer)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Personally, in a wet ( cold) environment I prefer an under layer of a "fishnet" cotton fabric. Even if it gets wet the holes are dry/full of air which warms, the small contact areas between the fabric and skin do not feel that cold.

But it is bad to get soaking wet, bad planning that can cost the life. Protection should be easily accessible.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No difference between Viscose made from Bamboo, Sugar Cane, Pine or Birch.
No antibacterial properties found after research.

Viscose is nice against the skin as the individual fibres are very thin, almost Silk like.

If you say so, but its equally possible to find peer reviewed papers that say that regenerated bamboo fibre does have anti microbial properties.
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jfecs/article/view/69727/57732
https://www.ncsu.edu/bioresources/B...cterial_Perform_Natural_Bamboo_Fiber_4310.pdf

I haven't waded through all of that, and I don't plan to, just dipped and skimmed. I know that my nose can detect a difference between bamboo base layers worn for three days, and cotton worn for three days, be it socks, underwear or t-shirts.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Bamboo is the worst "performance" fabric that I've ever tried. As mentioned above it takes ages to dry, and whilst not uncomfortable to wear, I certainly wouldn't choose it for comfort.

For our typical damp climate good quality synthetics or wool are difficult to tell apart. For a while now I've been wearing merino boxers and a synthetic top, which after years of experimentation I've found works well for me.

Opinions are like bottoms, everyone's got one. Being able to back it up is the key. For what it's worth, I think that synthetics dry faster than wool, but wool will start to feel warm again before it's fully dry.

Cheers, Michael.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you say so, but its equally possible to find peer reviewed papers that say that regenerated bamboo fibre does have anti microbial properties.
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jfecs/article/view/69727/57732
https://www.ncsu.edu/bioresources/B...cterial_Perform_Natural_Bamboo_Fiber_4310.pdf

I haven't waded through all of that, and I don't plan to, just dipped and skimmed. I know that my nose can detect a difference between bamboo base layers worn for three days, and cotton worn for three days, be it socks, underwear or t-shirts.

In the US the compsnies that sell Viscose based on Bamboo cellulose are not allowed to advertise any Antibactrial properties as research has not confirmed it.
That is all I know.
I am a Natural fiber man and avoid artificial or semi artificial fabrics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE