Balls.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah it can be cheaper to buy that to can your own here as well, but the taste of home canned rules! Especially when there's 3 or more generations of experience involved and the fruit's coming from trees that have been in the family most of those generations. Most of the fig trees in my extended family were propagated from cuttings from my grandmother's tree and store bought fig preserves really just can't compete.

Yes our quarts are a bit smaller that yours but the most popular size here for home canning is the pint jar (also smaller than yours) That said, quarts and half pints are also common (just not as much so by comparison)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use mostly pints for soups, stews, curries, chilli's and a lot of veg.

Half pints we find best for fruit and other desserts. I don't use many quarts but then my youngest left home years ago so its only the two of us.

You are quite right on the taste of home canned food, rather like home made chutneys or bread fresh from the oven....there is no comparison with commercially made stuff.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That and tuning the taste. For example commercial tarka dhal, or that made to recipe, is far too salty for BB. So I make it with a quarter of the normal salt and can it...or the dhansak I make from it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE