Ballistol

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
This seems a rather bizarre product. http://www.ballistol.co.uk/html/uses.html Originally developed as a gun oil for the German army in 1905, but according to the website will lubricate nearly anything, prevents rust, treats and waterproofs leather, good to treat wood, etc, etc. supposedly non toxic, environmentally friendly, but stinks.

I have an old Browning 12 bore which has mineral oil staining of the wood due to over enthusiastic lubrication by its previous owner. Mineral oil is supposed to damage wood and I guess this could be an issue with wooden handled knives too. So I can see a potential advantage in Ballistol if it is safe on wood.

Anyone tried it? I am going to get some but I can hardly believe it does everything claimed.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I use it to clean and store all my rifles and revolvers. It is the best gun oil I have ever used. I was skeptical at first but it really works! I threw away a bunch of other cleaners and oils. This is the only thing I use.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
It seems to be the substance of choice among the majority of black powder guys in the USA.Cleans,lubricates,preserves,non toxic,all round magic.

IIRC,it is made in Germany.EDIT AS you said in your post. :eek:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
It is also an excellent desinfectant and allegedly you can actually take it in because it's non toxic (although toxicity is always in the dosis and not the substance!). Don't try this because it stinks as hell.

A precaution: dont use it on glued products, e.g. knife sheats, because Ballistol has the property to dissolve some glues.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
There isn't. You have to send in your cheque with your order and it is sent out to you. It is great stuff, particularly good when preparing your axe for some time off: sharpen it and then give it a really thin coating of Ballistol to keep off any rust spots. It's good for proofing leather too. Wonderful stuff.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Tiley said:
There isn't. You have to send in your cheque with your order and it is sent out to you. It is great stuff, particularly good when preparing your axe for some time off: sharpen it and then give it a really thin coating of Ballistol to keep off any rust spots. It's good for proofing leather too. Wonderful stuff.

How long does it smell for? Is it an initial stench which drops off rapidly or does is stink for ages?

By 'stinks', is it like an unpleasant farty smell? Or is it a 'chemical' smell?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The smell does wear off eventually. It's not absolutely disgusting - certainly not farty - more a metallic smell with overtones of mild B.O. - the sort of whiff I imagine you might experience if you got up-close-and-personal with a Mercedes engineer. ;)

The website lists a number of its uses. Apart from protecting or lubricating metal objects, I have used it for minor cuts and abrasions to clean them (it was the only thing I had available at the time). It did hurt but I'm still here and, most importantly, the wounds did not become infected.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
indeed nice stuff - cares for your metal gear, it´s shoe & boot polish, treatment for your body, perfume for Merc. engineers :lmao: etc.
And it´s quite cheap.
I can´t remember when I first used it, probably a century ago :D one purpose it´s quite useless for: lubrication open bicycle chains (it works in combination with a closed chaincase - like most other oils too)

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
just used this stuff on my stigg leather gloves that were on the verge of cracking. I wore the gloves then poured a large amount of ballistol in to one palm then worked it in to both gloves. The result was incredible to say the least. They have never been so supple and soft, and the oil seemed to soak in almiost instantly without the need to rub it rigourously. I put some on my bike seat too which has done it no end of good. Next is my boots!

What a bloody great product!

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
The stuff owns I use it for all my Guns both metal and wood parts, Bows and Strings, coat knifes and katanas.

Tip: Get a bag that seals and leave the cloth you use to maintain your items in the bag this will retain the oil the more you use it.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've used it on my 12 bore for the last 10 years and it's kept it very nice. Not easy to find though. The instructors at Dunkeld gave me a can - it's only just run out. I never used it on the wood though, except my accident. Smell is fine

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE