Serving board advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
So total newby to wood (done tent pegs, feather sticks etc but nothing "proper")
I have a collection of different sized cutting and chopping boards and have always fancied a really large one to go down the center of our table to serve things on (breads, salami etc), but been put off by the price.
Got hold of an old pine (i think) cupboard top, due to us redecorating. I've shaped it, made it a bit rustic and less like a plank on the edges with my mora.
So i'll pop some photos up later tonight, but a couple of questions for those of you with some experience please...
I'm going to sand it down, some info online suggests after the initial sanding to wet the wood, then let it dry, and then sand again as this raises the grain and then can give a smoother finish.

There's also as many different opinions on oiling it as there are google search results. mineral oil, oil then beeswax after, olive oil, veg oil etc. As it's not green I'm guessing that I don't need to soak it in oil, but as I'm going to be serving food on it I'd like it to be food safe, and also not taint the food or go rancid.
I'm not using it as a chopping board, more of a serving thing so it being damaged by knives shouldn't be a problem.

All advice and opinions welcome, cheers Rich

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Easy one, Rich - just get a small bottle of Walnut oil, give your board a coat of that, let it dry then do it again, and a third time; a couple of days after the third coat, it'll be fine for years and you can just wash it over with normal dish water and dry it.

Using any non-drying oil on wood is a nonsense as it just goes rancid; also the emphasis some place on "soaking" wood items with oil is without benefit IMHO. What's required is a few coats of a food safe drying oil, and that's the job done :)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I make a few boards from my supply of end of life oak whisky barrel's. After sanding (takes a while as these need several mm taken off to get to the good stuff) I do wet to raise the grain, you can do this a few times if required, and then oil several times with walnut oil.

Be good to see some pics when you've finished.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Cheers for the advice guys,
here's what it started as, a bit of unloved old cupboard top

Here's it shaped and the edges mora'd off to make it less plank like.

And although unfinished here is how it fits onto the table, nice and large for some bread, salami, cheese, olives and even a handy hole for dips (or more likely a nice bottle of red)

Was going to sand it down last night, but it was raining/snowing outside and didn't fancy all the dust inside. Will hopefully get a chance to do it tonight. before putting the nut oil onto it.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
A lot of sanding and A few oils later... Thanks for the advice guys.
imagejpg1_zpse51aecdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not quite as shiny in real life as the lights make it look, plus the latest coat of oil is still soaking in, thanks again for the advice.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE