baking bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Anyone else here bake their own bread? i've got some dough proving in the kitchen as i type this now, its basically jamie olivers "basic bread recipe"

500g strong bread flour
15g of honey
15g of salt
10g of yeast
half a pint of warm water.

ive spent quite a long time trying to make bread and not had much success, though this one seems to come out alright most of the time. Does anyone else have an good bread recipes? Show us some pics of your bread!

Nathan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yeah

My advice is to get the River Cottage "Bread" book. A brilliant book that teaches you everything about bakestones, water sprays etc. to make artisan bread (i.e. paving stones and £1 plant sprayers). Brilliant book

Sesame and white bread by British Red, on Flickr

Red

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Yeah +1 for the River Cottage bread book.

I made the focaccia recipe and worked out really well!

Still haven't mastered making white bread or in particular the Cob loaf. Mine doesn't have the fluffy'ness that a cob should have. Any tips? Sometimes I leave it to proove and it doesn't rise all that well either.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have a bread maker (cheating I know) - I used to knock something together in the mornings when it was SWMBO's lie in and I was looking after our eldest who was a baby at the time - not sure why I ever stopped.... time to dig it out of a cupboard!

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Those are two beautiful loaves Red! just perfect and golden

Zebaroon- i found that my bread wasnt rising enough and didnt have the right crumb either, i realised that i was making a few mistakes, i wasnt kneading for long enough, i tend to knead until i think its done then go for a minute or so more, i also made the dough to dry, ive found that it should be just dry enough not to stick to you completely, but still a bit sticky before kneading because it tends to dry out a bit as it gets worked, i also found that i was baking at way too high a temperature, i find about 160 works well.

breadmakers are great too my dad uses one every day and the nice thing is you can can get good square sandwhich shaped loaves which fit in your lunch box properly!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Are you putting a tray of water in the oven to keep the loaf moist Nathan? Thats another trick I learned from the RC book.

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
no i havent been doing that, ive been spraying it with water after the second prove before it goes in the oven though, keeps the crust softer a bit chewy.

i'll definitely look into the river cottage book, it sounds like theres some good tips in there.

cheers

Nathan

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Zebaroon- i found that my bread wasnt rising enough and didnt have the right crumb either, i realised that i was making a few mistakes, i wasnt kneading for long enough, i tend to knead until i think its done then go for a minute or so more, i also made the dough to dry, ive found that it should be just dry enough not to stick to you completely, but still a bit sticky before kneading because it tends to dry out a bit as it gets worked, i also found that i was baking at way too high a temperature, i find about 160 works well.

Ah I see - thanks Nathan! I'm probably kneading about 10mins or so, will give it more next time. It's interesting about the oven temperature too. We thought that our oven wasn't high enoug (!) about 200°c......!

You should post a pic of the finished loaf for us all to salivate over...

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Yeah, i was baking all my bread that high for ages because thats what all the recipes said to do, but i kept on ending up with a really hard crust :( pics om the way, funnily enough it hasnt turned out as the best loaf ive ever made, but it still tastes alright!

Nathan

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
heres some pics:

shaped before second prove:
IMG_0701.jpg

after second prove before spraying and baking.
IMG_0702.jpg

after baling for 40 minutes at 170
IMG_0703.jpg

not quite as god as British Red's but i'l get there!

Nathan

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Good work mate, loads better than any of mine! For me, there's nothing better than the smell of fresh bread and of course the taste!

Incidently I read that the French don't make bread with sugar or honey. Just flour, water, salt and yeast. Interesting.

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
heres the pizza i made too, because i cant be in the kitchen all morning and only be veggie....

IMG_0687.jpg

when it goes in for dinner its going to be lush, chicken and chorizo pizza...

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I've been making soda bread for the last few months.

I use malted grain flour (delicious)
a handful of grist (great flavour)
a mix of milk and live yogurt

It's an hour from starting to the bread hitting the table, and it knocks the socks off any bread I've brought for texture and flavour - I am just not tempted to buy bread any more

Alex

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
Anyone else here bake their own bread?

Yes, I used to quite a bit. I often used to like to use half wholemeal flour and half unbleached white flour with carraway seeds in. Apparently, brown bread with carraway seeds in it used to be known as Newcastle bread—maybe it was popular there?

However, I tend not to eat bread now for health reasons. It's an interesting fact that as sugar and refined flour started to reach even remote regions of the globe the "diseases of civilization" followed. The same goes for tooth decay. Interestingly, one of the names North American Indians had for whites, besides palefaces, was "blackteeth".

The anthropologist (and explorer) Vilhjálmur Stefánsson did a comprehensive survey of Icelandic skeletal material for Harvard (back in the 20s or 30s I think). In the viking period when there would have been some wholemeal bread a tiny fraction of the teeth had suffered decay; in the mediaeval period when the island was self-suffcient and people had no bread and lived mostly off meat and dairy products there were no rotten teeth at all; in the modern period when white bread came in dental caries was rampant, as everywhere else in the civilized world.

Best from the point of view of health are wholegrains, because they've not been denuded of some of the nutrients in the processing. Wheat seems to be more problematic for human digestion than some other cereals, and rye might be a better option. The other problem is "anti-nutrients"—phytates and the like, basically plant poisons. A l-o-n-g fermentation with yeast will help to break these down, but rushing things in order to get bread out the door for commercial reasons means the yeast doesn't get a chance to do that. Modern commercial bread uses the Chorleywood process–like much else a British invention—but not one we should be proud of.

Better than yeast fermentation is sourdough fermentation, which utilizes lactic bacteria (and some wild yeast). That's the most digestible, healthiest (and also strongest and most interesting tasting) bread. Yeast-fermented bread that's had a long fermentation is next best. Quick-fermented bread is just junk. Bottom of the tree is unleavened bread. in parts of the Middle East, like Iran, where there's too much bread in the diet and they don't leaven it hypogonadal dwarfism (shrunken b***ocks) is more common than it should be, because phytates in the bread bind up the zinc in the body. (Don't know why they don't leaven it—Perhaps religious reasons: in NW Europe there was always yeast because there was always beer, whereas Muslim countries, of course, are dry.)

Here's what's probably the healthiest type of bread—sourdough wholegrain rye:

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/494-sourdough-rye-bread

Does anyone else have an good bread recipes?

Elizabeth David has a famous book at any rate:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Bread-Yeast-Cookery-Elizabeth/dp/1906502870/

How about black Russian bread? This recipe is yeast-risen, because it has quite a bit of wheatflour in it. (There's not enough gluten in rye flour to raise it with yeast). it also has carraway seeds, onion, coffee, and (believe it or not) chocolate:

http://www.russianfoods.com/recipes/item0005F/default.asp

I've never made it, but bought bread similar to that—very intense flavour.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE