Bait sizes for longlines?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Ok

A while ago i read a thread by rapid boy regarding a different kind of long line.

I made up my own example ( not important really) with 80 hooks spread over a 300 meter line.

I plan to go put it out in the sea this friday evening and collect saturday morning.. I have a few old and extremely smelly mackrel and some herrings ( also very smelly) but am wondering what size i should make the baits.

I have heard big baits big fish.... but having never set a long line before have no idea.

i will be fishing in a fjord.

Tips?

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
i havn't done any bait line fishing - but i fish with a rod, and generally i go by the rule you can catch little fish and big fish on small hooks small bait, but only big fish with big hooks and bigger bait size.

not that that helps much - i'll go get my coat.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Dave, in my experience you will do much better with fresh bait than smelly old stuff. Mackeral strips make good bait and can be anything from a full side to a quarter inch by an inch. I would suggest strips about 3 to 4 inches long by about half an inch wide.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Next question then guys.

how long should i wait before taking it back in. We will be setting it in relatively deep water, where there is a vasy variety of fish, coalfish,pollock, sea wolf, monkfish, ling, cod, haddock the lot.

I have heard from some people that it should be taken up after a few hours and others say leave it over night but not more than 12 hours. The law here is that all " fixed fishing methods ( nets etc) have to be checked and cleared at least once per 24 hours before being reset.
So what do you recommend?

thanks

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
the thing is with this type of fishing, is that if you catch a fish and it has to swim around all hooked up for ages it can be quite distressing - and also, the lines can get caught up on other wild-life (water fowl etc) - so i reckon keep an eye on it and def. dont leave it for more than 12 hours.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Hi Dave
Old fish is great for lobster pot's and the local fishermen here use fish that they caught the previous season (stored all winter in large barrels and it's pretty rough stuff ) ,but not for long lines.
Try a mixture of bait's - some strip's of fresh mackerel and if you can dig worm bait's or gather small bait fish ot shell fish from rock pool's.
I used to go out for a full day so i would set my long lines ,shoot a trammel net ,check some lobster pot's and then fish with a rod for a few hours.
I'd land on a small island about 5 miles off shore to collect dulse and have lunch then haul the net and long lines on the return journey so mine fished for about 6 hour's but it really depends on what height your fishing them at and what bait you use.
Soft worm baits fished on the bottom for flat fish should be checked (and replaced) after a few hours (2-4) as crab's will rob your bait very quickly.
Bait's fished off the bottom can be left longer and certainly over night.
Best to try a variety of bait's and first time out I'd leave it down at least 4 -6 hours and see what happens.
Best of luck.
rb

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
we normally just put nets and lines down for a day (in in the morning out late arvo) like rapid boy have had more sucess with silver 'feathers' than fish bait. ask the locals in your area if they can tell you baits depths etc, i doubt they will tell you their best spots but you can ask i guess.. also you have/will placed hooks 3.75m appart, i would suggest you can put them a bit closer together 1m-ish. 300ms of line is going to be a real job to lay and bring in again. remember to keep the line infrount of you neatly coiled and out from under your feet.. also learn to remove the fish by sliding your hand down the line holding the hook by the eye and flicking the hook upside down.. that way you dont have to handle every fish and you dont get your hands so cold wet and smelly!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE