Bahco Hatchet Refinish & GB Sheath Modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

A while back, I got a Bahco hatchet to do some stuff at the allotment. It was cheap enough at 17 quid and did what I needed. Then I (re)discovered bushcraft and realised that it would be far too naff to be seen with. Lest other bushcrafters point, laugh, and kick sand in my face, I decided to tart it up.

It also came with a 'protector' thing that looked amazingly like a bit of soft, squidgy rubbery stuff. Suitably under-impressed, I toyed with the idea of becoming a leather worker until I realised that I didn't have the means to emboss a portrait of Galadriel on my handiwork. Disappointed, I went to the local Gransfors Bruks leather sheath shop, hatchet in tow, and tried a few for size. None fitted, but the GB carving axe sheath was close if a bit large. The proprietor and I mused on the possibilities and came up with a feasible plan for modifying it. Thus encouraged, I blew 13 quid on the sheath and scuttled off home.

Here's how things panned out...

attachment.php

The axe as supplied. Sandvik steel of some sort, ash helve (apparently), all beautifully set off with some orangey-red paint. The rest of the helve is lacquered, but that isn't obvious from the photo. Note the straight drilled-through hanging hole, and the squidgy rubber thing on the sharp end. Overall, it's blister central and not at all classy.

attachment.php

After a load of sanding and a wipe or three with the teak oil I had lying around, it's looking better already. Note that the hanging hole is now countersunk - much kinder to hands that do chopping.

attachment.php

After a ****load more sanding (and some scraping with an Opinel that I otherwise didn't like), it came up looking like this. Nice and shiny, except shiny isn't really all that nice in the bushy axe fashion scene. Time for the...

attachment.php

...mustard and vinegar treatment. Cheap mustard, cheap vinegar, mix in proportions to give a degree of gloop, coat head as shown, leave for 24 hours.

attachment.php

Wipe the stuff off and admire the much more socially and fashionably acceptable forged-look grey patina. Not just prettification, though - the patina should help a bit with corrosion resistance.

On to the sheath...

attachment.php

As you can see, the sheath does go around the head...

attachment.php

...but there's a big lump of empty space at one end.

attachment.php

This blend of two photos shows how much the sheath can rock back and forth. It doesn't come off, but it's not a very satisfying fit.

attachment.php

My first attempt at making things better was to cut along the marked line and drill out the furthest rivet. This allows the single layer of the flap to fold over earlier and thus make a more snug fit around the head.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, this wasn't quite enough. Here, I've pressed the leather down with my thumb nail to mark where the edge of the axe's beard is.

attachment.php

Some further trimming led to this shape. Note that there is a slit near the top where the empty rivet hole is, which allows the flap to fold in closer to the line of the second cut...

attachment.php

...like this. Trial fitting with the head in the sheath indicated that this was much better, so I pressed down on the area of the press stud and then marked a centre for putting a hole through the leather prior to fitting a new press stud.

attachment.php

Here it is with the new stud fitted and some lines added to mark out the trimming to tidy things up.

attachment.php

After trimming with the sheath fitted to the head. The line of the edge of the leather is now much closer to the profile of the beard area. The bit that looks like a mistake just above the rightmost rivet is deliberate. The way the leather lay when closed, the cut edge tilted up and became visible, so I made an undercut to hide this.

attachment.php

And here it is closed up.

attachment.php

An overall view of the refinished hatchet on its new sheath...

attachment.php

...and one with the sheath fitted. For easy before and after comparison, here's the as-supplied shot again...

attachment.php

I may have done a little tidying up after the last shots were taken, and may do a little more. Still have to treat the leather with something (from Le Prevo, probably). The fit is now pretty snug, albeit with a slight bit of play (can't get rid of it entirely). Never done anything with leather before, so I'm pretty pleased with this - a pretty tidy result for a spend of 30 quid, even without the embossed portrait of Galadriel.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nomad

Thanks, but I take no credit for the mustard and vinegar trick - picked that up from another thread somewhere on BCUK.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like that style of hatchet, looks to me like a re-branded Ox Head (OCHSENKOPF) hatchet. I doubt Bahco make it themselves and assume that they do like Husqvarna, Stihl and several other companies do and subcontract the work out, in this case I reckon its to Ox Head.
719510_1330680185_z.jpg

N

Nomad

I like that style of hatchet, looks to me like a re-branded Ox Head (OCHSENKOPF) hatchet. I doubt Bahco make it themselves and assume that they do like Husqvarna, Stihl and several other companies do and subcontract the work out, in this case I reckon its to Ox Head.

That does look awfully similar. Had a mooch around the Bahco site, and I didn't see anything about the steel, so I might have been wrong about the Sandvik origins (but I'm sure there was something to do with Sandvik and Bahco that I read a few months ago...). The current Bahco hatchet has a different stamp on the head, which includes 'Made in Germany', so it could well be a contract job by Ochsenkopf. At the back of the head, near the handle, it's stamped with "HW", which looks to be the case for the one pictured on the Bahco site...

http://extranet.snaeurope.com/picture.aspx?filename=sga_hgps-0_6-360_wo_c

Click on the link for the biggest image. The point where the line of the beard meets the part around the helve differs, as does the hand end of the helve and the position of the hole. If anything, mine is closer to the Ochsenkopf version in the photo, with the addition of the hanging hole.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That does look awfully similar. Had a mooch around the Bahco site, and I didn't see anything about the steel, so I might have been wrong about the Sandvik origins (but I'm sure there was something to do with Sandvik and Bahco that I read a few months ago...). The current Bahco hatchet has a different stamp on the head, which includes 'Made in Germany', so it could well be a contract job by Ochsenkopf. At the back of the head, near the handle, it's stamped with "HW", which looks to be the case for the one pictured on the Bahco site...

http://extranet.snaeurope.com/picture.aspx?filename=sga_hgps-0_6-360_wo_c

Click on the link for the biggest image. The point where the line of the beard meets the part around the helve differs, as does the hand end of the helve and the position of the hole. If anything, mine is closer to the Ochsenkopf version in the photo, with the addition of the hanging hole.

Bahco bought Sandvik out a few years ago I think.
The handsaws we use on site used to be Sandviks and are now Bahcos, exactly the same otherwise.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks great I like that, I fixed up a couple hatchets myself and have to say, fine piece of kit to start with.
Low cost to ^^, but one thing I always failed in was not polishing that edge to a shine, I love shiny edges ^^
Great job on it, hope it serves you well
Yours sincerely Ruud

Jan 2, 2015
Finland
Bahco bought Sandvik out a few years ago I think.
The handsaws we use on site used to be Sandviks and are now Bahcos, exactly the same otherwise.

No it was sandvik that bought bahco, they later sold it to snap-on. Sandvik is a much bigger company. Some of the bahco stuff is still made in Sweden, but most of it is not, their saws is one exception. Bahco used to be the brand that the pros used, nowadays it is a consumer brand, a pretty good one I must say but quality is not what it used to be.

Nice looking axe and sheath!

HW stands for Helko werk, please check out this thread for almost the same discussion:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/919244-My-German-axe-from-the-UK-NOW-WITH-SHEATH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE