bahco 1 1/4lb hand axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
davep90 said:
anyone own one of the above?
was just wondering if it would make a decent bushcraft axe/tool?

Dave,

If you look here

Link to thread

Theres loads of information on them - including about 4 variotions of versions of the axe re-dressed for Bushcrafting. Jump in and join the Bahco club!

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I suspect these two are Bahco, they were my dads before me and theyve been well used and abused for at least 30 years. I used to take the small one camping as a kid with no idea about sharpening, edge profiles, how to use an axe responsibly etc :rolleyes:

bahco.jpg

I'm kindof in the process of restoring them into decent tools though I havent got far yet. TBH while I have a lot of Bahco tools, they are not renowned for their axes and while these are perfectly good and usable they are not really comparable with the likes of GB which were a revelation to me, due to their thin edge. The edge is steeply ground and very thick on these Bahco's, they are not at all designed for fine work or carving but primarily for splitting I imagine, though a thicker edge would probably clear chips more quickly where thin axes can have a tendency to stick. I dont know how the edge oin these would hold up if they were significantly thinned down? I'd be interested to know if anybody has significantly reduced the edge angle on one of these.

These are just my musings I'm no axe expert and would be happy to be enlightened as to the benefits of various edge profiles on axes. I dont really use axes enough to have a definitive view on it.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Looks like a decent axe, definately an improvement over my old ones. Its good to see Bahco have improved their axe range, my knowledge of their product line is a tad out of date ;) The head shape reminds me of the Swedish army axes extensively discussed recently :) but with a narrower poll. I bet that would be a very nice tool to use.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
these small hand axes are fine for bushcraft, i carry one in my pack or on my belt when i go afield i do prefer the larger 21/2 pound axe with 18 to 22 inch handle. to me it can do the fine work of the smaller and do the heavier work of felling and log shaping.

just my 2 cents worth, but i'd take the big axe if i could only take one blade/tool

dean

Jun 23, 2005
BAhco axes are relativly cheap, but to become fully efficient they require regrinding, and handles are generaly too wide. It is more of a problem with shorter handled Bahco axes than with longer onesd, but it is there..

Here are few pics of one I reground last year, beside Vaughan Jimbo reground for me..

kolekojot_Head%20final.jpg

kolekojot_Axes.jpg

And finaly, picture from abowe, showing profile of a head..

kolekojot_Top%20view.jpg

Bogdan

That one looks super, and the ruler laid against the eye and bevel shows the angle to grind the bevel to.
The huge advantage of the polish and gentle ramps to the eye is that splitting becomes much easier. Using a baton it's amazing just what can be split. In this wet place all wood has to be split fine, so it's an advantage if 3 foot sections can be chopped, those split first into four or eight, then the narrower pieces broken or chopped shorter. That way a saw isn't required, but no speed is lost.
Every axe design has both advantages and disadvantages. The wider edge on that one means that it won't chop as deeply into seasoned wood - but then it'll be much better at wood shaping. A person can whittle a log with one of those as easily as a stick can be whittled with a pocket knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE