Badgers...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
I managed to get a couple of hours out in the woods after work this evening and for the third time in as many weeks I have come across yet another Badger Set. This time the Set was split in two by a public footpath! The set is still very much active with plenty of sign....... and it has got me wondering, are Badgers on the increase or have I just been lucky. I live in sussex if this make any difference. Has anyone got any thoughts?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hiya Moko

I think there is a general increase of wildlife this year due to the 'mild' winters we've been having.
I live on an estate in North Yorkshire and like you i have seen more badgers about this year along with stoats, weasels and the rabbits up here are on their 4th litters already (if that the right description for rabbits?)
My uncle keeps ferrets and he says he's never seen anything like it. There no longer seems to be an "off" season where rabbits don't breed....up here they are at it all year round. :D

There does however seem to be more myxi present in young rabbits so maybe it will be the year for disease too and readdress the balance of nature?

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
was working security a few years ago on a holiday camp and on night patrols saw badgers regular
in fact it was a running joke about one guard being chased by the large male .
also hit one on my motor bike 2 years ago too .
i have certainly seen more the past few years but do not know about any proof of them on an increase .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There's definately an increase in the badger population. Several counties have been discussing badger culls, and if you drive alot many will notice a huge increase in badger road-kill, a sure sign of an increase. Quite ironic that.......

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Badgers have really made a comeback and as said earlier in some areas the possibility of culling is being looked into.This would be in order to prevent the spread of bovine TB.But it has never been proved or disproved for that matter that badgers spread the disease. Mike B...

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/field_guides/animal_tracks.shtml

animal_tracks_badger.jpg

Tant

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I read that a badger can dig faster than a man can with a shovel. I am sorry but this is simply not true. I was hand digging the footings for an extention one year and noticed badgers in the garden at night looking for earthworms in the excavated soil no less than four different badgers passed within inches of my shovel without doing any digging whatsoever - I have deduced from this that not only are badgers lazy but ungrateful too :D ;)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I think they have increased I have seen more dead in the road this year than I have in my lifetime. There are so many sets in my favourite woods that its hard to exercise the Jacks for fear of them showing too much interest in going down the holes! I would say there are too many (in a nice way) :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Is it not illegal to disturb badger sets in this country, I think I heard that on RM's Four Seasons.

Or was I mistaken?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On another note I have seen loads of badgers around Pembrokeshire this year, we even had one wander onto the jetty where I work one night!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The sett behind us has grown significantly over the past decade; but I've yet to find a newbuild.
A few years ago, I managed to film what I assume was the original couple making new badgers (that's NOT why I was out with the camera). If they've kicked the resultant kids out, it's in another direction to our house.

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
you will see more road kills at this time of year than any other, as most cubs born round about now. If there are loads of new roads being built, or land developed then stands to reason that more likely that a cub going to be hit, and therefore not a true representation that there is an increase in numbers, (although that may be true too).
as for the prints, if you can apply the word 'cute' to any print, then it would be the badgers. very square looking, but with lil wee pads, and huge claw marks.
oh and silverback - not lazy - just discerning. did you dig south facing with a view over the valley with plans for swimming pool, bar and jacuzzi extension, otherwise of course they're not gonna get the nails dirty?. ;)

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Because of all the uproar surrounding "badger digging" or badger baiting" and the protective legislation to out law those acts, I suspect people think that badgers are some how "endangered"...In fact, quite the contrary is true and there are now more badgers than ever and their populations are increasing.

The down side of this, is the increase in the incidence of TB and its tranmission to cattle. Unfortunately, emotions seem to hold sway in this debate, rather than solid scientific research, so I don't see the issue being resolved any time soon.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw two live young ones on my way to work this morning and one big adult roadkill!(I moved it into the hedge on the side of the road!).

If only people would slow down whilst out driving!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My uncle worked for years in the RSPCA as an inspector and worked his way up to a branch of the RSPCA which investigates badger baiters and the like, does sett watches in the hope of catching baiters red handed and all sorts of other good stuff. He now does work abroad trying to fight animal cruelty, he's done a lot of really good work and is one of my heros.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
HIi TMKTC. Apologies but I have only just come across your link to your pictures which are fantastic. It's great to see folks getting out doing stuff.

Many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE