Badger?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Last weekend I found this tracks. I normally only find deer and dog tracks, but this one looked different. Could it be a badger track?! There are no other signs of badgers in that area, and I don't know if there are any badgers around (never seen one, heard about it or saw a track or hole). But comparing it to the drawings in my books it might be one. The tracks were not fresh, and I hope you can see them well enough on my pictures. What do you think?

badgertrack_0001.jpg

badgertrack_0002.jpg

(What's this bug?)

badgertrack_0003.jpg

badgertrack_0004.jpg

badgertrack_0005.jpg

badgertrack_0006.jpg

badgertrack_0007.jpg

(I guess here are two tracks almost registering)

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If that ruler is CM's then I think it might be a little small for badger
I would expect a badger track to be around 4-5cms or so plus claws

What sort of gait/ length of stride etc?

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
The length of the stride (I hope I measured that right) was 42 cm. The distance between right and left foot were about 10 cm. There were no claws, but the tracks are about 5 cm wide.
I am not sure about gait (still a beginner, and there were only a few tracks), but I guess it was walking.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The third picture, which shows what might be claw marks in the front, looks the most badger-like IMHO, but it's difficult to say for sure.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The gait looks more like a canine trotting gait. First look at the prints and I thought two sets of very old deer slots, but there's a pad too. I would say dog. I'll have a proper study of it on a big screen later on. On the hop at the moment.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
The gait looks more like a canine trotting gait. First look at the prints and I thought two sets of very old deer slots, but there's a pad too. I would say dog. I'll have a proper study of it on a big screen later on. On the hop at the moment.
Thanks! No need to hurry, I am away for the weekend for a family wedding anyway...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford

I saw deer there too, but then there's the extra pad as you say
Difficult to see on screen

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I agree with Rychard. That's a soldier beetle, Cantharis sp. there are 15species in the UK and not easy to distinguish them, but maybe C. rufus, because of the all black legs.

No idea on the tracks.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Could be. I'm guessing, and happy to say so. We all agree Cantharis sp though? I've no real knowledge of the group apart from knowing a soldier beetle when I see one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE