Bad weather coats / jackets which actually cover your butt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yes, although that takes up some of the interior of the jacket (affecting the fit) You can also layer a sweater under it (actually a good wool sweater is even warmer than the liners)

Another option over the M65 Fishtail Parka you referenced is the N3 Parka (also offered by Alpha Industries) But it is for extreme cold and is rather expensive by comparison if bought new.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/SPK/SPK000F/ANDOV.jpg

No detachable linings as the fill is permanent. Also available in a variety of solid colors.

Noooo! The fishtail parka - I've had a couple - were military surplus, and both had detachable linings - hence doubling up on the liners. Trouble is, they are becoming a bit less common so prices have risen since their heyday as de rigeur Mod parkas for scooterists! As a result, there are lots of "copies" of the beasty, most being appalling imitations. I got mine from the US ebay...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rohan do long cags. Think the rainshadow is the long one. I've not seen it personally but on another forum it has a lot of recommendations. IIRC it extends down well beyond the behind. Great for walking since you can get by longer without waterproof trousers.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Clothing for Rambler, Hillwalker is what you may look at. British brands still cater for them. The stuff one usually gets in the outdoor shops is designed for extreme climbers or the shopping mall: tight fit and very short.

The mentioned swedish M90 is perfect for winter. I wear it very often because of its length. Will withstand everything but too much rain. German army parka (avaliable in the navy version in blue, too) are long roomy and hard wearing.

Workwear might be worth looking into, too. There you find more generously cut garments and long ones, too. Helly Hansen makes great stuff, like its fibre pile jackets Basel and Lausann, which are very long in the back. Mine is in use since around 1980 http://www.outdoor-professionell.de/2014/12/helly-hansen-faserpelz-outdoor-klassiker/

A very long and roomy smock
http://catalog.bergans.eu/clothing/Anorak1/Morgedal-Anorak-Dk-Blue-XS-126159-p0000077795

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik.

My wardrobe, rather snootily consists of two labels. George, along with F and F, lol. To be honest there is some stuff I have picked up from the local Sally Anne shop too. 2 x 1.20p for the only two 100% cotton Shemagh's (115cm x 115cm) they had, I dont think was too bad :)

The thing is, my father passed away back in August. He left me a bit of money (and no, I dont mean tens of thousands of £££'s, lol), which when probate has finished (a couple of months time) I will be able to afford a few things I would have otherwise had to seriously save hard and long for. And for once in my life, I want to buy some gear of a half decent quality to improve my levels of comfort when beyond the reach of my central heating. Hence why i want to get things as near to right as I can, first time around.

The long cag's I shall be looking at anyway as something that has been on the wish-list / dreams-list for a few years now has been a kayak. Once again, comfort and warmth will be playing very significant roles both in the yak and clothing choices. As shall versatility too.
All that said, I do thank you for your input mate, as a long cagoule is well and truly on the list already. Once again though, it seems only perfectly slim and fit people ever go in kayaks, judging by most of what's stocked (size wise) around the UK. Thankfully, the good old "Yankenese" have come to the rescue on this one. I just begrudge the pound of flesh which HMC&E want to carve out of my hide every time I or other buy from abroad, lol.

I've had three deaths in the family over the last few years which means I can afford to buy whatever takes my fancy these days but I've really no reason to blow several hundred quid on a coat...bugger...I did that before coming into some dosh lol

Buy what you need depending upon what you perceive you need, really need or just what takes your eye.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Buy what you need depending upon what you perceive you need, really need or just what takes your eye.

I have spent ages "buying" up gear in my mind for the last month or so and have slowly learned that quite a lot of it I would have regretted buying, fairly quickly.

Earlier this year, I had 13 carrier bags and two dustbin liners full of clothes which went to the Sally Anne's. I don't want to replace all that crap, but I do want to "improve my wardrobe", shall we say. At the moment, it consists of so little and such useless material that it really is pathetic, Rik. With it being 5 very long and boring years since I was last able to work and money being so seriously tight at times (£71 a week income for one 15 month period) that beyond the suit for my dads funeral (which crippled my finances completely) there's nothing even casually presentable at the moment. So, I shall set about replacing what I actually need as opposed to what takes my eye. Sally Anne's got way too many pairs of jeans and stuff with the price tags still on them that I learnt another lesson about what could be termed as "over indulgence". And I hate shopping, lol. You know, I still have two fleece tops - smock style - from the '90's from Primark's and they're still going strong! Such are the places I shall be haunting for everyday, indoor and casual clothing. But between the kayaking and this, I want what fits and serves me best. I don't care if it's dirt cheap or expensive (although dirt cheap would be soooo much nicer ;) ) I just want to buy the right things, once.

Ahh, the mods and their oversized hair dryers ;) So tempting to buy a black leather jacket and put a denim cut down jacket over the top of it again. But at 50 years old, I would look so very very stupid. Mutton dressed up as lamb , springs to mind ha ha ha! Warmth and comfort mean so much more to me than image. As such, I will be buying an M65 and liner. After I have called Alpha and spoke to them so as to try and ensure I get the right fit, first time around - according to one of the comments, the person says that it states "Made In China" on the jacket!?!?!? The Swedish parka seems to be out of stock in my size in so many places that by the time I get around to possibly buying one, they will have shot up in price, I reckon. Such is life, I guess.

garethw

Settler
Another option over the M65 Fishtail Parka you referenced is the N3 Parka (also offered by Alpha Industries) But it is for extreme cold and is rather expensive by comparison if bought new.

N3B jackets are fantastic, warm in the most extreme conditions... A genuine one is hard to come by these days, and even issued cost a lot. Thigh length, heavily padded (they weigh a ton) with a fur trimmed (mine is coyote) & pile lined hood ... my fav very cold weather coat.
I was fortunate to get a Greenbrier Industries circa 1982, unissued coat back in the late 80's and its still going strong...

909-6508.jpg

Mine looks like this.. Nylco shell rather than nylon and green rather than bright orange lining.. as said my ruff is real fur..

cheers
Gareth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have spent ages "buying" up gear in my mind for the last month or so and have slowly learned that quite a lot of it I would have regretted buying, fairly quickly.

Earlier this year, I had 13 carrier bags and two dustbin liners full of clothes which went to the Sally Anne's. I don't want to replace all that crap, but I do want to "improve my wardrobe", shall we say. At the moment, it consists of so little and such useless material that it really is pathetic, Rik. With it being 5 very long and boring years since I was last able to work and money being so seriously tight at times (£71 a week income for one 15 month period) that beyond the suit for my dads funeral (which crippled my finances completely) there's nothing even casually presentable at the moment. So, I shall set about replacing what I actually need as opposed to what takes my eye. Sally Anne's got way too many pairs of jeans and stuff with the price tags still on them that I learnt another lesson about what could be termed as "over indulgence". And I hate shopping, lol. You know, I still have two fleece tops - smock style - from the '90's from Primark's and they're still going strong! Such are the places I shall be haunting for everyday, indoor and casual clothing. But between the kayaking and this, I want what fits and serves me best. I don't care if it's dirt cheap or expensive (although dirt cheap would be soooo much nicer ;) ) I just want to buy the right things, once.

Ahh, the mods and their oversized hair dryers ;) So tempting to buy a black leather jacket and put a denim cut down jacket over the top of it again. But at 50 years old, I would look so very very stupid. Mutton dressed up as lamb , springs to mind ha ha ha! Warmth and comfort mean so much more to me than image. As such, I will be buying an M65 and liner. After I have called Alpha and spoke to them so as to try and ensure I get the right fit, first time around - according to one of the comments, the person says that it states "Made In China" on the jacket!?!?!? The Swedish parka seems to be out of stock in my size in so many places that by the time I get around to possibly buying one, they will have shot up in price, I reckon. Such is life, I guess.

I thought you were going to make your own custom gear from now on..... :)

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
I thought you were going to make your own custom gear from now on..... :)

Some gear, but I will never be any kinda tailor, John, lol

Gareth, nice coat there mate. I love gear which stands the test of time. Not so much the "looks" as I am none too fussy about that. But it still does what it says on the box a few decades later. A REAL investment, if ever there was!
Nice "hump head" carp too :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
N3B jackets are fantastic, warm in the most extreme conditions... A genuine one is hard to come by these days, and even issued cost a lot. Thigh length, heavily padded (they weigh a ton) with a fur trimmed (mine is coyote) & pile lined hood ... my fav very cold weather coat.
I was fortunate to get a Greenbrier Industries circa 1982, unissued coat back in the late 80's and its still going strong...

909-6508.jpg

Mine looks like this.. Nylco shell rather than nylon and green rather than bright orange lining.. as said my ruff is real fur..

cheers
Gareth

Great! You really got one of the good ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE