Bad weather coats / jackets which actually cover your butt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Good morn... afternoon. It would seem I have slightly overslept again.

Right, down to the subject in hand.
The base of my spine has 3 less discs in it than it should and to be honest with you, the rest of the spine isn't in that good a state either and this whole area reacts VERY badly for me when it begins to get cold. And that cold doesn't have to mean "Siberian" conditions either. Even in summer after a day of wearing as little as possible, come the late evenings, if I have got my back literally covered, then all sorts of fun begins to happen for me As such, when I get around to parting with a fair chunk of money on a couple of coats (warmer & colder weather ones) I don't want to find out they have a short length, which seems to be the style of almost everything useful I can find and end up having to keep spending more money on returning the things for either a refund which takes a few weeks to get back into my account, or an exchange for something which isn't really up to par / equally short in the back.

I border 6ft 2" tall and that height is pretty evenly spread between my torso and my legs. From the top of my coccyx (part of the spine below the top of the pelvic bone) to the base of my neck is 27" / 69cm basically. Now to me, this is not all that long, but it seems that near enough every coat / jacket I come across without shopping in serious money type gents shops sits or rides up much higher than this. Yet it is the minimum area I need covered. To make matter worse, I seem to be outsize when it comes to many of the sports brands I have been finding on the web. Clothed with two thin layers, I have a 50" chest, bulbous gut and 46" waist to get covered up and that is not inclusive of a fleece or jumper.

I am hoping that I am not the only tallish and overweight person here and all recommendations of suitable clothing (preferably breathable and water resistant) are gratefully welcomed and received.

Many thanks, people.
Andy

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Swazi Tahr, waterproof, breathable, expensive but very highly rated. Ridgeline Monsoon, not so breathable not so expensive.

For the cold what about an ex military Swedish parka, warm and not speedy.

I'm sure loads of folks will be along with other suggestions.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
That's brilliant, thanks guys.

Bloody quick service too ;) Seriously though, I really didn't expect a response anywhere near this fast, let alone several! As a result, you cannot believe how many tabs I have open right now, lol.

Another silly question for you, these ex military Swedish parkas, do they tend to be breathable / water resistant? I only ask because as a kid, I had a parka for years and during dry times, it was wonderful, but if it rained, you needed to get home quick or you got soaked.

As a side note, "army surplus" clothing has great appeal to me. Not so much the alleged tactical stuff, but for want of better words, the "green gear". I have managed to almost always work outside in often less than friendly environments at times and the combats / jackets have always proved hard wearing. Now as much as LOVE the feel of dry 100% cotton against my skin I learned long ago that the stuff hold onto water like crazy. Which as we all know, will lead to a loss of body warmth very quickly. Great as a young man when I would kick off my trainers and tops before just diving into the sea at my local quay in the summer (obviously!). Not so good on anything but completely calm warm days.
Anyway, suffice to ay that based on my experience of surplus clothing, say 30yrs+ ago, I have not even looked at it with serious intent of a purchase since.

All that old boll.. waffle to one side, I'd like a parka again but not if it's not going to do what I now need.

As for the rest, I really love the looks of this Paramo gear, thanks K. And once I have made a written list of clothes from there and saved their home page, I shall be off to visit the other places you've all been kind enough to help me out with. **Quick note - I looked up the Berghaus jacket. £220 on their site as an RRP. First "other" site I went to was Amazon and its £150 with free del and returns too! Well happy with that find :)

Right, off to make another cuppa, roll up some more tobacco - yes, I know, please dont waste your time preaching to the converted - and then back to google and some site searching.

Thanks again everyone, Andy :)

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Funds will permit and I like smocks. Used to use them all the time when commercial fishing. Sadly, the chest sizes only run to 48" max and of all the optional extras on them, an increase in chest size isn't one of them - selfish buggers ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
M65 Field Jacket. Water repellant but not waterproof

1025.3.jpg

Do not get a Rothco or other knock-off. Get a real surplus one or get new from Alpha Industries (no affiliation with Alpha Industries, but they were one of the prime suppliers for the issue one) They come in various colors to include OD Green, Black, Navy Blue, and a various camo patterns.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Andy, before you dash off and spend £££££'s just google long cagoule, lots of options there depending on what you need and if your label dependent.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
The liner on its own is an unattractive looking item, but it does seem to really set the jacket off!

I have looked at various UK sold M65's and they all seem that little bit too cheap, if you get what I mean. I think I shall invest in one (with the liner, thanks) direct from Alpha in the US as the alleged UK site for them doesn't even carry the M65.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Rik.

My wardrobe, rather snootily consists of two labels. George, along with F and F, lol. To be honest there is some stuff I have picked up from the local Sally Anne shop too. 2 x 1.20p for the only two 100% cotton Shemagh's (115cm x 115cm) they had, I dont think was too bad :)

The thing is, my father passed away back in August. He left me a bit of money (and no, I dont mean tens of thousands of £££'s, lol), which when probate has finished (a couple of months time) I will be able to afford a few things I would have otherwise had to seriously save hard and long for. And for once in my life, I want to buy some gear of a half decent quality to improve my levels of comfort when beyond the reach of my central heating. Hence why i want to get things as near to right as I can, first time around.

The long cag's I shall be looking at anyway as something that has been on the wish-list / dreams-list for a few years now has been a kayak. Once again, comfort and warmth will be playing very significant roles both in the yak and clothing choices. As shall versatility too.
All that said, I do thank you for your input mate, as a long cagoule is well and truly on the list already. Once again though, it seems only perfectly slim and fit people ever go in kayaks, judging by most of what's stocked (size wise) around the UK. Thankfully, the good old "Yankenese" have come to the rescue on this one. I just begrudge the pound of flesh which HMC&E want to carve out of my hide every time I or other buy from abroad, lol.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
How about one of the Twodogs wool smocks advertised on this site? Plenty of room inside for your generous proportions, will provide lots of length to keep your back covered, very warm and very good price! I can personally recommend them - I'm delighted with mine!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The liner on its own is an unattractive looking item, but it does seem to really set the jacket off!

I have looked at various UK sold M65's and they all seem that little bit too cheap, if you get what I mean. I think I shall invest in one (with the liner, thanks) direct from Alpha in the US as the alleged UK site for them doesn't even carry the M65.

Interesting point about these - and the much longer fish-tail versions which is what I prefer - is that you can button in two liners. Really improves the warmth!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting point about these - and the much longer fish-tail versions which is what I prefer - is that you can button in two liners. Really improves the warmth!

Yes, although that takes up some of the interior of the jacket (affecting the fit) You can also layer a sweater under it (actually a good wool sweater is even warmer than the liners)

Another option over the M65 Fishtail Parka you referenced is the N3 Parka (also offered by Alpha Industries) But it is for extreme cold and is rather expensive by comparison if bought new.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/SPK/SPK000F/ANDOV.jpg

No detachable linings as the fill is permanent. Also available in a variety of solid colors.

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
I've already made a note of the Twodogs smocks, Andy. I was thinking of getting one or two made so I can wear them underneath a shell jacket or simple waterproof top which I keep close by in my rucksack. I really liked the Twodogs the moment I saw them as they didn't look like they have been cut for someone with an hourglass figure. How to word this without making myself sound like some kind of man slut, lol. Some of my ex's and probably my daughter too (in typical female fashion) would call them plain, but I think they look cool. Well, toasty warm to wear but cool to the eye.
Having always been one to wear what I wanted whether it matched anything else at the time or not, I am not into so called fashion statements - which usually just tell me that such people are sheep following other sheep.

Why haven't I ordered one yet? Simples. Look at the calendar, add two kids and a grand child and you will soon find it = being skint :D :D :D I just hope they're still available in he new year!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Pay close attention to the sizing info on their website. Hopefully you can get the right size on the first try.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Alright, this discussion has been ongoing, and I confess that i haven't read all of it, but the Swedish army M90 winter parka (approx £35) is my go-to winter coat. It isn't waterproof, but it is thick enough that it takes a long time before you notice anything on the inside (and I mean a long time in heavy rain), I have never been cold in it, and at 6' 0" it covers my bum even when I sit down. The hood isn't up to much, but you can't have everything at that price. Weather that is too wet for it would need a serious waterproof rather than something water-resistant anyway. If mine gets wet I dry it overnight in the airing cupboard. Admittedly this isn't practical in the field.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE