Bad Moon a Rising

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Da ya no I was just gonna say could the timer function do the same job Neanderthal... great pic Red
D
Just to be really anal was it the canon lens? L series or something else? Also what is it like in low light? Is on it?
D

Good point on the timer!

Oh - the lens is a Sigma not a pukka Canon - 135 - 400

Red

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Red will leave you alone now honest no image stabilisation on the lens then?
I take it has to be used on a tripod?!
Promise no more questions...... its just for £99 they do a tamron lens with the camera I am looking at instead of £200 and just thought for the price it may be worth a punt....but no I.S on it
D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At 400mm you really need a tripod although I have hand held it in bright sun (1/1000 or faster)

Get the IS!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Red will leave you alone now honest no image stabilisation on the lens then?
I take it has to be used on a tripod?!
Jumping in here... It doesn't have to be used on a tripod - depends on the amount of light around.. as a rule of thumb, you should be able to hand hold at a shutter speed of 1 over the focal length, so 100mm = 1/100th second or faster, 400mm = 1/400th second or faster (though I have to say my handholding isn't even that good :eek: - that's why I bought IS L-glass). For BR's 'moon shot' (what a picture that phrase conjures up :rolleyes: ) then yes you would need a tripod. (1/15s is way slower than the 1/400 that the rule of thumb suggests ;))

You can use an IS lens on a tripod, but you have to turn the IS off, or it does strange things like compensating for shake that isn't there - and the picture wanders about :rolleyes: - in fact IS will not cure camera shake completely, but it will let you handheld on slower speeds - typically 4-5 times slower than without it.

Promise no more questions...... its just for £99 they do a tamron lens with the camera I am looking at instead of £200 and just thought for the price it may be worth a punt....but no I.S on it
D
In the 'olden days' :rolleyes: It was the quality (read expense) of the glass that was important, and the difference in 'clarity' for want of a better phrase, between cheap and expensive glass was noticeable for an otherwise identical setup. Nowadays manufacturing techniques have improved. And with digital cameras, the ability of the camera processing software to 'sharpen' the image has made the difference less noticeable, unless you're comparing the extreme ends of the market..

do you need IS? - a lot depends on the type of photography you do - Landscapes don't move too fast, giving you time top set up a tripod... I tend to shoot wildlife as I come across it, and have to shoot handheld as there's usually not time to get a tripod set up as the fox / deer / bird of prey etc. legs it across the field, which is why i went for the extra expense of IS and 'fast glass'.

blimey, don't I waffle :eek:

EDIT: Should have let Red answer and saved meself some typing :D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
No that was great Bikething just the sort of thing I need to here.
I think i will get the kit lens and learn to use it before looking at a medium telephoto for those pesky deer I want to shoot. I guess Is will be the way to go as I will be on the move alot and a tripod will not always be a quick enough set up.
Ta Dave

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
... as a rule of thumb, you should be able to hand hold at a shutter speed of 1 over the focal length, so 100mm = 1/100th second or faster, 400mm = 1/400th second or faster ...
Just to follow this up - the rule of thumb above assumes a 35mm film or FULL FRAME sensor.. A lot of cameras - like my 10D - use small frame sensors, giving the so called 'crop factor' (1.6 in my case). This means a 100mm lens will give you the same end picture as a 160mm lens on a full frame sensor (1.6 x 100mm).

What this means for the rule of thumb, is the slowest handheld speed = 1 / (focal length x crop factor) - in the case of a 100mm lens, this would be 1/160th second, not 1/100th second as shown originally.

remember - this is only a guide... some super-steady people can handhold at slower speeds... some of us are a bit wobblier :1244:

hope I haven't bored you :puppy_dog

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Remeber a tripod is not the only to steay a camera

You can use a beanbag a fence a gate or number of things as I do regularly with my compact.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just a thought - that picture could have been sharper, but unfortunately I think the earth moved! (note fuzzy R edge of moon compared to top and bottom). Next you would need a tracking device.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great shot Red, that's reminiscent of a photograph of the Moon i had published by the BBC Sky @ Night on their 50th aniversary, it's surprising how difficult it is to get a good photo of the Moon

Blimey Guv! That's a bit impressive. :D I never thought a man on the ground could get a shot like that of the moon!

You would be surprised at what you can photograph from your back garden Stew

MareSerinitatis25-3-07-1.jpg

Saturn26-3-07.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
WOW!!

Yours are much better!

So tell me - what set up did you sue for those? Love the Staurn shot - very Jealous!

Red

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
WOW!!

Yours are much better!

So tell me - what set up did you sue for those? Love the Staurn shot - very Jealous!

Red

Would you believe a webcam and a small amateur telescope, the shot of Saturn comprises 600 individual frames and the one of the Moon was taken with Nikon Coolpix compact camera through the eyepiece of my larger telescope.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
something else to look into to reduce shake on long focal lengths is the 'mirror lockup' function if your camera has it ;)

Been experimenting with the mirror lockup and it really does help - great tip - thanks!

3272273873_ee1f512b06_o.jpg

Shame I don't have true spot metering.....still I can do manual bracketed exposures easy enough and I do have partial metering to kick things off

Red

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
"don't go out tonight, your bound to take a life...."

heh great shots guys! can i ask what kind of camera's your using? my lad got a decent telescope for christmas so we'll try and get a few shots!
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE