Bad Grammar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
I have followed this thread with some interest as another one of those dyslexic folks. I would like people to remember that dyslexicia is a movable fiest .I did not have the test until I was 42 . The report given to you details where you are in the scheme of things and every dyslexic is different so what is easy for one is hard for another there is no constant. I try to use a spell checker but often it gives me no alternative to the way I have spelt a word (so I often guess) and if the word has two ways of spelling I am scuppered . as for grammer or full stops etc i have no idea. AS a guide this has taken twenty minites to write and I have red it through 5 times. So I would say life and let live I can remember any thread I havnt been able to work out so far

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I don't understand this thread. It started out so simple.
To be honest, Im not so keen of rules in English, Language has always been constantly evolving then we invented the dictionary in the 1700s and put a cap on the evolution of English. I wonder what repercusions that will have seems as language is a tool that defines, thought. We have huge gaps in english where we need new words and concepts.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I have followed this thread with some interest as another one of those dyslexic folks. I would like people to remember that dyslexicia is a movable fiest .I did not have the test until I was 42 . The report given to you details where you are in the scheme of things and every dyslexic is different so what is easy for one is hard for another there is no constant. I try to use a spell checker but often it gives me no alternative to the way I have spelt a word (so I often guess) and if the word has two ways of spelling I am scuppered . as for grammer or full stops etc i have no idea. AS a guide this has taken twenty minites to write and I have red it through 5 times. So I would say life and let live I can remember any thread I havnt been able to work out so far

I was interested to watch that documentary on the `Dyslexia Myth` which stated with some evidence that dyslexia was not a difficulty with reading but a difficulty in discerning vowel sounds, kind of like the Japanese have with L and R sounds.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have a spelling checker It came with my PC. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're lax oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
There are lots of theories but all i can say is that before I had the test I had two assements and the test its self took 3 hours .
I recently read the book The Gift Of dyslexicia which is very good. and then there are picture thinkers and word thinkers!!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
To lighten things up a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6QqCH7g0Q

As another dyslexic I'd just like to say that I always spell check posts before submitting them simply so they are vaguely understandable and sometimes it takes quite a while to find the appropriate spelling, spell checkers are often stumped by my words and I have to use thesaurus and the like to get it right. I have no problems with typos, spelling mistakes and the like, the meaning is almost always clear. It's as the first post says the bad or just plane absent punctuation and capital letters that gets me.

I often use a function of my computer that will read text out to me, which makes these kind of communications open to me, and the computer is really throne by bad or missing punctuation and abbreviations.

Actually because I play online games allot I don't mind text speek, or l33t speek as it is referred to by gamers, to much. But I understand how it can be incomprehensible to a lot of people.

I think the initial intent of this thread wasn't to force everyone to speak the queens English. Just a mild plea for people to at least read there posts through before posting to make shore they are comprehensible.

Don't get too hung up on the details just be a bit thoughtful :) .

P.S. I have put the first draft of this post in below to give you an idea of what my posts would look like without the wonders of the spellchecker.

P.P.s It took around 25 minute to get it readable.

As a nuther dyslexic I'd just loke to say that I alwys speel chack posts befor submitting them simply so they ater vagly understanderble and sometime it take quite a while to find the apropiate spelling, speel checkers are ofen stumed by my words and I have to use thasorasis and the like to get it right. I have no problems with typos, spelling mistakes and the like, the meaning is almost allways clear. It's as the first tops sayes the bad or gut plane abanst punchuation and capitals that gets me.

I ofen use a function of my computer that will read text out to me, which make these kind of comunication open to me, and the computer is raely throne be bad or missing punchuation and abriviations.

Actuly because I play online games alot I dont mind text speek or l33t speek as it is referd to by gamers. But I understand how it can be incomprehecable to a lot of people.

I think the inishal intent of this thead wasnt to force everyone to speek the queans English but just a mild plea for people to as least read there posts through before posting to make shore they are comprehesnable.

Dont get too hung up on the detales gust be a bit more thoughtfull.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Also dyslexicia is not just spelling .It can be reading writing numbers and order . as well as a mixture of all. So I am apparently in the top 5% of readers and bottom 10% of writers Bottom 5% on the number front ( I cannot remember my parents phone number and they have had it for twenty years.!!). For me the computor, has enabled me to communicate in away I never thought, I would ever be able to .It may not be perfect but when you consider I used to be to afraid to write a cheque in public because I can not gaurentee to spell my name right its liberation of a special kind.

xylaria

My parents phone number no chance. I can't remember my own mobile number, and when I write down the land line I have to check I haven't reversed the positions of the first and fourth digit. I had a panic in Lidls the other day, as they have put in a cover for the chip and pin, I remember my pin number by the pattern my fingers go in. If I can't see my fingers I can't remember my pin. I use the same method to spell better with a keyboard. The word "behaviour" i used to have real trouble getting the three last vowels in the right order, but once I remembered the pattern my fingers went in I was fine.

Barney:
This is a good one

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count the F's in that sentence.
Count them ONLY ONCE!
Then see below...

This is really interesting, as my worst problem is leaving out small words. For example I will write "I like the smacking of under two's, they don't understand why they are been hit, and it is cruel" so either I am a sicko or left I out the word Don't.

I can design my own celtic knotwork and develop new nalbinding stitches, and I can look at countless plants and fungi and remember what uses they have. Oddly if i forget the name I remember the page in my field guides that they are on. There is certainly visual memory skills that come with dyslexia either that or useless knowledge like english grammar has been disposed of to make way for the more useful knowledge of fungi:D .

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes I find I have an entirely visual mind system as well. I don't think Im dyslexic. Or I might be... I certainly have discalculia, (number dyslexia), and the subtle problems that come from these mind sets such as not being able to tell left from right , and with that comes extremely poor spacial awareness in that I get lost very easily.
I think in pictures so vividly I often have to translate them back into words. For instance I was trying to remember Sea Buckthorn. I saw the plant and I had a picture of a deer on the beach in my head ( I don't decide to think these pictures) I knew it was something to do with deer and and the sea but I didnt have the words!
When I was a small child I could draw almost perfectly from memory. I don't have that ability to the same extent now, or not on the surface anyway. I suspect learning to socialize made me switch neural pathways. I do suspect Im able to sketch far more from memory than most people though, but it comes at the price of having learning disabilities in other areas.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Just to throw a spanner in the debate ,does anybody think that some people write the way they speak.I don't mean phonetically.Within 5 miles of my house there are many different accents/dialects.Some areas extend the vowels,some lose the "T" from the end of words( don instead of don't, carn instead of can't),some lose the first letter such as ew instead of you.My all time most hated is free instead of three.Anyway back to the point.In my sons school there seems to be very little emphasis on writing and spelling,most of his work is worksheets stuck into his books ,when I was in school we had to copy the work out .Is this the same all over the country?I can see that if you don't practice using the written word then you possibly won't be able to spell as well as someone who does,and if you don't use punctuation then you won't know how to use it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes I find I have an entirely visual mind system as well. I don't think Im dyslexic. Or I might be... I certainly have discalculia, (number dyslexia), and the subtle problems that come from these mind sets such as not being able to tell left from right , and with that comes extremely poor spacial awareness in that I get lost very easily.
I think in pictures so vividly I often have to translate them back into words. For instance I was trying to remember Sea Buckthorn. I saw the plant and I had a picture of a deer on the beach in my head ( I don't decide to think these pictures) I knew it was something to do with deer and and the sea but I didnt have the words!
When I was a small child I could draw almost perfectly from memory. I don't have that ability to the same extent now, or not on the surface anyway. I suspect learning to socialize made me switch neural pathways. I do suspect Im able to sketch far more from memory than most people though, but it comes at the price of having learning disabilities in other areas.

That's interesting. My mind seems to work completely differently.

I find plant identification very difficult because my mind works much more conceptually.

It took me a long time to realise that I was actually dreaming because I didn't see pictures at all, I just thought about stuff in a really weird and random way.

I dream and think in language rather than pictures.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Out of interest Wayland ,do you think you dream in any particular language or style?I ask because of what you do in life, you have some very distinctive lifestyles.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Language wise it's definitely English because I'm hopeless at anything else.

Style wise, it just seems to be a stream of consciousness making connections that appear quite random but seem to make perfect sense at the time.

It's only if I try to work it out after waking that I realise there is no real logic to it. :dunno:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well it seems to work for you! I find thinking in pictures is useful for understanding non-tangable concepts, as it often contains movement and pattern. Interesting about your dreams and yet in mine I can see so vividly I can focus my eyes on distances and close to in dreams and see whole cityscapes and landscapes. I dreamt the other night I was drawing the shadows cast on the underside of a crows wing, inbetween its feathers, I know in which case I, like I suspect most people, have the ability to record their memories in absolute detail, but the brain filters and files the information away in the subconscious. If I can see these things asleep, there must be some way I can conjure them when awake? I wish I could it would certainly be useful.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
My late wife was a 'Geordie'. I won't say her dialect was strong but we had been married for 2 years before I found out what her name really was. There were many advantages as well as disadvantages to this arrangement of course. The children grew up bilingual and could swear in school without fear of being chastised by softee Southern Teachers.

At home, I always had to answer the telephone, as if my wife picked it up the callers would believe they had got through to the Lithuanian Embassy. Shopping was best done in supermarkets where she could just take things from the shelves without having to ask assistants for what she wanted as this often degenerated into a long and painful process and often resulted in the Mrs giving vent to " Ah diva nah wha' the bliddy ell she's on aboot man" and walking out of the shop, leaving me to apologise and explain that the lady was in fact a tourist from Samarkand.

Now we managed 36 happy years, so I'm sure if people give each other a bit of leeway...oops! everyone will get along and understand what the others are 'chuntering' (Sussex) on about. :lmao: :lmao:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been reading this thread with interest and , unless I missed it, no one has mentioned about how the style and type of font can actually help those people who have problems reading.

When I was working towards my C&G adult education qualifications I was taught that that if you're preparing handouts or presentations the best font to use was Comic Sans or Dom Casual (There isn't that font in the selection here) and the and the best size font was a 12-14 font. Reason being most fonts are angular it's harder on the eye to follow whereas the two I was told about are smoother and the eyes can follow them easier thus helping the person read without struggling as much. Also italics weren't recommended as they can cause problems for the reader as well

Gary' point about double spacing the lines also assist people when reading as the person can concentrate on each line without getting lost when the

script is packed tightly together. However, I was told that the best line spacing was 1.5 rather than 2 but the formatting here doesn't allow that :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I find italics really hard to read,I don't know if it's the changing font in the middle of a sentence or if its just italics.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I think this thread is mainly about having a bit of respect for our fellow forumites.

Sloppy, hurried posting is as insulting as watching the telly while you are talking to visitors.

Spelling mistakes and typos happen, that's not a problem. Stringing words together with no attempt to make the sense readily apparent is sloppy.

Eric, your "spell chequer" post was brilliant.:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm guilty of using italics for emphasis on a particular word or phrase.
I actually 'hear' the voice of the person who has written what I am reading.

I do read very quickly; a normal 240 page novel takes me about an hour and a half, and I have read it properly, not skimmed it.

Maybe that's why I find the need for the reference points of capitals, commas and full stops. :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE