Back To Basics

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
Well, I hate to say it but selling all that equipment was the best thing I have done. Just spend 3 days in the woods (with all that rain) and only taking a few small items:

Karimore Sabre 30
Bacho Laplander
100m Paracord
Poncho
Knife & Firesteel
Crusader Cup
Stinky Sleeping Bag
Petzl Tikka Plus
....and the clothes on my back

I originally built a basic half dome shelter and covered it with bracken to sleep in, but when the sky's opened I changed my plan of attack and built a raised platform about 60 cm from the ground and covered with the bracken from the dome shelter for padding. I then made a 'leanto' over it also thatched with bracken and then a layer of thinner branches to keen in place. I wrapped the sleeping bag into the poncho to improvise a bivi bag and found I was just as comfortable as sleeping in any hammock or tent. I stayed dry even though the rain was very severe and was reasonablly warm. The only real problem I found was that I had built the raised platform too high because I couldn't really feel the heat from the fire. The Sabre made a great pillow and collecting water was achieved by leaving the crusader under the left corner of the roof to catch the rain. There was also a small stream nearby and I purified by boiling for approx 5 minutes.

I have come home this morning feeling great but annoyed that we now have great weather again, but with a great sence of achievement as I would have usually relied on the hammock and tarp. Next time I am going to take the paracord off my itinery and see if I can make enough cordage to repeat this build.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE