Back out on the bunnies last night!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Went out with the rapid last night to a spot on the farm that's been hit by the bunnies munching the wheat. Mr Wheatabix won't be happy!!

But 1st I had to gain some energy with one of those special drinks (Not what you were thinking I bet!! )

Photo0817.jpg

This is the area they've been munching. You can see how high the wheat should be in the background & a little fella just before meeting his bunny maker!!

Photo0819.jpg

I got tucked into the longish grass using my homemade short stix which are perfick for the edges of the fields. Means I can sit up after stuffing meself with McD's instead of laying on a full tummy!!

Photo0820.jpg

The end result after about 4hrs, 3 for the game dealer and 5 for the bbq :D

Photo0821.jpg

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Shooting/hunting animals when they are a pest or to have food on your plate is perfectly ok, but thinking killing is fun and obviously enjoying shooting animals makes me think there's something wrong with you.

But than again, that's just me.....

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I fully respect that mate, but yes I do enjoy shooting otherwise I would not do it! I do it to control the numbers AND put food on the table, along with selling the surplus to a game dealer which pays for my ammo.

If the mods deem my attempt at a light hearted honest account of my experience last night unreasonable then I or they can remove it,

Cheers,

Stratts

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Good job Stratts, there is nothing wrong with enjoying what you do. I love shooting as well and there is nothing wrong with that. If people don't like it they shouldn't go in the fair game section

Last edited:

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Shooting/hunting animals when they are a pest or to have food on your plate is perfectly ok, but thinking killing is fun and obviously enjoying shooting animals makes me think there's something wrong with you.

I shoot and enjoy the skill involved. The ability to use and maintain a gun, the fieldcraft involved in knowing the game and how to stalk and kill it. The fact I know how to prepare and cook the game too. It is killing something and that is never the best thing in the world but I would rather I killed it cleanly and quickly without fuss than it died badly through poison, etc.

So on balance I do enjoy shooting but killing isn't fun. I expect that's how most people here that shoot feel.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nice work.
I've got to scout out a garden near me tomorrow and, crazy as it sounds, I've been offered £50 to get rid of just one rabbit!
I'll enjoy killing that one!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's quality is it a were-rabbit though! We need to see pics and a detailed write up of that hunt just so you earn your money!!

'Twould be bad of me to pick up a roadkill one, show him that, get my fiddy quid and wait for a phone call to say there's 'another' rabbit in the garden.
And then do that one for £40 as a special deal. :naughty: *

*only joking, before anyone gets uppity!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

I'm a tree-hugging leftie and I didn't interpret the OP in the way that you did.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Looks like a good hunt.
I'm still looking for my 1st permision to shoot for Bunnys/wood pigeon since nothing near me. :(

Personally i'm not a supporter of hunting any animals where they suffer such as fox hunting or hunting with dogs but if it's shooting your food with a quick clean kill and your food dosnt suffer I cant see the issue.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Looks like a good hunt.
I'm still looking for my 1st permision to shoot for Bunnys since nothing near me. :(

Personally i'm not a supporter of hunting any animals where they suffer such as fox hunting or hunting with dogs but if it's shooting your food with a quick clean kill and your food dosnt suffer I cant see the issue.

Ever seen a lurcher do it's job or a terrier out ratting?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Cant say i have but i'm more refering to packs of dogs attacking the prey rather than a quick kill with a few bites from a well trained dog.

Stratts: What scope are you using?

Last edited:

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Went out with the rapid last night to a spot on the farm that's been hit by the bunnies munching the wheat. Mr Wheatabix won't be happy!!

But 1st I had to gain some energy with one of those special drinks (Not what you were thinking I bet!! )

Photo0817.jpg

This is the area they've been munching. You can see how high the wheat should be in the background & a little fella just before meeting his bunny maker!!

Photo0819.jpg

I got tucked into the longish grass using my homemade short stix which are perfick for the edges of the fields. Means I can sit up after stuffing meself with McD's instead of laying on a full tummy!!

Photo0820.jpg

The end result after about 4hrs, 3 for the game dealer and 5 for the bbq :D

Photo0821.jpg
A good job mate bet the farmers happier now , and why shouldn't you enjoy what you do ,i know i do

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Looks like a good hunt.
I'm still looking for my 1st permision to shoot for Bunnys/wood pigeon since nothing near me. :(

I would just like to ask if you have personally witnessed fox control with hounds ,which is now banned or your just going off hearsay , hunting with hounds or dogs is the most effective control in most cases due to that, if the hunted animal escapes it is unharmed and then hopefully passes on it stronger genes on to the next generation where as an ill or weaker animal will get caught and be dispatched , unlike a possible misplaced shot which would result in a slow death or a healthy animal being culled , not that i'm knocking shooting as i shoot myself i'm just saying that even top marksman miss sometimes , imo watching a good dog work and doing a job it has been bred for ,for hundreds of years is one of the best things in the world and i feel it brings me closer to nature ,although it is not for everyone

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I would just like to ask if you have personally witnessed fox control with hounds ,which is now banned or your just going off hearsay , hunting with hounds or dogs is the most effective control in most cases due to that, if the hunted animal escapes it is unharmed and then hopefully passes on it stronger genes on to the next generation where as an ill or weaker animal will get caught and be dispatched , unlike a possible misplaced shot which would result in a slow death or a healthy animal being culled , not that i'm knocking shooting as i shoot myself i'm just saying that even top marksman miss sometimes , imo watching a good dog work and doing a job it has been bred for ,for hundreds of years is one of the best things in the world and i feel it brings me closer to nature ,although it is not for everyone

That's why I nearly always take a dog stalking with me - if I fluff the shot (touch wood not yet) then he helps me finish it quick.

I enjoy the shooting, I enjoy the stalking, the sense of achievement and the eating it. Not overly fond of rabbits myself but they are good when cooked - it's the gutting that gets me - no problem with deer, just wabbits.

Enjoying the sport makes you want to do it better - and that's good for all involved. Looks like you have it cracked. Good shooting.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I would just like to ask if you have personally witnessed fox control with hounds ,which is now banned or your just going off hearsay

I must admit only going from what i have heard (so probably somewhat jaded information). I dont have 1st hand knowledge since still looking to go on my first hunt but personally for me if you plan to make use of what you kill and the animal isnt deliberatly made to suffer and dispacted quickly i dont have a problem just some methods would not be my choice.

Last edited:

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Fow hunting with hounds and horseman is not about fox control, its about sport. Its a bit different to useing working dogs like lurchers. Best way to control foxes is with someone that knows what hes doing with a rifle caller and lamp.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Shooting/hunting animals when they are a pest or to have food on your plate is perfectly ok, but thinking killing is fun and obviously enjoying shooting animals makes me think there's something wrong with you.But than again, that's just me.....

Here we go again,:sleeping:another 'anti' that can't wait to click on a thread that he knows he won't enjoy reading :nono:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE