Back from Everest Base Camp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ed, absolutely. That said , just getting up Kala Patar wore me right out, much respect to the men and women who climb for real.

As promised for Stooboy, my kit list.

Rucksack - North Face Terra 60 litres. Bit of a heavy pack but once worn in lovely and comfy. I wouldn't take a bigger pack, because I'd fill it.

GOOD sleeping bag. Mine is Mountain Equipmenet dreamcatcher 750 , good for about -15. I was never cold in my bag. I also took a silk bag liner, adds a few degrees of warmth and protects your bag. After the first few days I stopped using it as I was too warm.

First Aid kit, small but comprehensive enough. This included a broad spectrum antibiotic , ibuprofen and diamox ( a useful drug for dealing with altitude). I also include i this a big pack of Strepsils for the Khumbu cough , or in my case bronchitis, and a small tin of vaseline which doubled as lip balm.

Bits n bats- Duct tape ( fixes anything) , swiss army knife, head torch. Mobile phone - doubled as a camera when mine gave up briefly- plus they actually work as phones in many spots over there! Nalgene water bottle, plus iodine tablets. You can get water at the lodge and use iodine to make it safe. Most nights we got the owner to fill the bottle with hot water, used it to keep us warm at night and in the morning we had clean water. Trekking poles -wouldn't have been without them, they made ascent easier and descent much safer.

GOOD SUN GLASSES. I was sceptical but didn't wear glasses for the first day, that alone meant I had to have two rest days at Namche instead of one. Its brighter up there so get good cat 4 glasses and wear them.

Clothing- not much. I had two top and bottom base layers, a crag hopper micro fleece, a pair of craghopper kiwi trousers and a winter pair, three pairs of socks and undergarments. Each day I'd get out of my bag , remove my helly hansen bottoms, my icebreaker top and climb into my winter weight craghoppers, upper base layer and crag fleece. At night , before climbing into my bag, I'd reverse the process. Socks and undergarments were worn for a couple of days . I was able to get some cleaned at Namche so three sets was plenty.

I also had a berghaus insulated coat ( the yellow one on one of the photos) plus a ME lightline down jacket. I didn't use the down jacket but wouldn't consider not taking it.

Hat, gloves , mittens, sunhat ( very important) and a buff! Don't forget the buff, its a scarf, a balaclava, a beannie, a sunhat and even ( god help me) a hankie). I'm wearing it over my face on a lot of the photos because I'm not very handsome and because it keeps the dust out a lot.

I left my rainproof in Namche, that was a gamble I would never take in the UK but the chances of rain when we went was so low it was a fairly safe gamble, plus there are lots of places to shelter for most of the trek.

Wash bag- mine had a toothbrush, the tiniest toothpaste I could buy, a very cheap microfibre towel from a poundshop, the tiniest shower gel I could buy and hand wash gel. That was it. ( You will smell, so does everyone else).

Good boots and a pair of warm slippers, I'm serious about the slippers. We wore our boots all day including in the lodge, but middle of the night when you need to go for a pee ( and thats part of the acclimatisation) its handy just to slip on the slippers.

Copy of the Lonely Planet Trekking in Nepal guide. The only book we took.

Think thats about it.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
thanks for all the information

I'll not wear you down with 101 other questions do some of my own research and maybe do something about it !

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Absolutely not a problem Stooboy, I'm still brimming with excitement so very happy to bang on and on about it.

I don't want to bore everyone else so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM. Best thing you can do though is to get the lonely planet guide , I got a lot of info from websites, including here - that book covers most things.

I hope you do it.

Sean

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Great photos, thanks for putting them up.

I've never seen the need to go abroad for holidays but so many times folk have said to me "You need to see the scale to believe it". This looks like one of those times. :)

Martin1

Dec 29, 2009
E. Yorks. UK
Nice picks.
Thats brought back lots of memories for me because I was there 15 years ago and amazingly I too saw an avalanche on Nuptse!
What I did notice about your pics that when I was there around the same time of year (winter) there was was snow and ice everywhere. I can see lots more ground in your pics! Must be global warming.:eek: :)
I was up there in my Buffalo Special 6 shirt (and Buff' belay jacket if I stopped and sat around. Love my buff kit.).
Me and a mate walked from Jiri. Amazing. Always planned to go back. The altitude didnt bother me as we had time to aclimatise (and I never rush anything!) but I saw people who even at halfway (even at Lukla) who had to be taken down.
Thanks for the pics and write up.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Much kudos to you walking in from Jiri ! There was a family walking same time as us from the Czech republic who had walked in from Jiri and they seemed much fitter for it. They had one chap doing all their photos and the way he would hurtle ahead to get pics of the group oncoming was unnatural.

As for the global warming, we got chatting to some glaciologists ( who had done the ITN thing with James Mates a couple of weeks earlier), their opinion was that the effect of the warming was approaching catastrophic proportions.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Here goes with my first foray into piccies. If this goes OK I'll add a few more.

First one is tghe first view of Everest on the long climb up to Namche.

SDC10061.jpg

DUDE!!! Totally forgot you were back!!

Looks like you had just a great time as me!!

Glad you enjoyed it and you are back safe. Gimme a shout if you wanna catchup for some Everest chatter.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Quite envious, I did the Everest trip a couple of years ago very late in the season when it was really cold, but a trip of a life time and would like to go back again. There was so much to see and this time hire my own sherpa or two and explore the valleys that connect to the trail.

When I was there we met a doctor from the US who had been doing this for the last ten years exploring the whole region and really getting a feel for the place.

What did you think of Namche Bazaar, were you there when the Tibetans set up there market, the whole of Nepal was brilliant and the smells (nice ones that is, ha ha) I have a temple flute which still has the incense smell which one sniff will take me right back there.

it took me a long time to come down from that high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!goodjob

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Some looked remarkably like lumps of wood.

I'm really glad people are enjoying this thread , it disappears for a bit, then someone finds it, puts a post on it and I'm taken straight back there. It really was an amazing experience, so much so we are thinking of heading back later this year or next to do the Gokyo region. Lamper, loved your pics mate.

Last edited:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Some looked remarkably like lumps of wood.

I'm really glad people are enjoying this thread , it disappears for a bit, then someone finds it, puts a post on it and I'm taken straight back there. It really was an amazing experience, so much so we are thinking of heading back later this year or next to do the Gokyo region. Lamper, loved your pics mate.

If you're going back gimme a shout!!

Thanks for the picture feeback. The whole album is now up at....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lampertron/sets/72157623479363094/

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Loving those pics- brings back a lot of memories :)

My fault is I took too many, or at
Least I am rubbish at culling them to a sensible amount!

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Great thread - brings back memories - myself and 3 good friends did this also in 2009 -February and it was an amazing experience . We did it the exact same way , bought a trekking guidebook,some maps, booked the flights and went! Carried our own kit as i like you could not get my head round paying someone to carry my kit. Stunning country and looking forward to going back in a few years as were planning on climbing Ama Dablam :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE