Back from Everest Base Camp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
We got back home today from our big trip. Had an absolutely fantastic time, got up to the top of a hill called Kala Patar , stated height 5555 metres on the map but one chap's altimeter showed 5621 so thats what I'm going with! We were looking down at Base camp, and across to Nuptse, Everest and the ice fall. Just as we got to the top we were treated to an avalanche down Nuptse.

Altitude is a right bugger though, the missus got a touch of Mountain sickness even though we took it really slow, and I managed to start off ill with a chest infection of some sort that antibiotics wouldn't , and still haven't shifted. Having no oxygen certainly makes going uphill hard work.

I don't know how to stick piccies on here to be honest but am quite happy to e-mail a few to anyone who wants to see them.

My thanks to Lamper , Lima Ed and others for all the advice given prior to our heading off, it was much appreciated and more importantly, useful!

Its fantastic to do these things but its also great to be back home with a pint mug of tea. If anyone is even vaguely considering this trip , I say just do it. I'm a keen hill walker and found it harder than I was expecting, but it was more than worth it.

Only question we have now , is where next?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Would love to see some pic's and know some of the logistics (prices etc)
I have seen so many pic's and read so much on Everest I feel like I have been there already. Not sure about the altitude mind as only been to 3.5k ish.
dAVE

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
be good if you could?

how did you go about organizing it? through one of these adventure holiday websites or did you just jet of and find a guide?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Only question we have now , is where next?

How about Annapurna sanctuary! Or K2 basecamp! Or maybe Patagonia?

Awesome mate - sounds like you had a really good trip. Friend of mine did Everest base camp on the Chinese side. Said it was OK but they are building a road most of the way in soon to take advantage of the tourist dollar (or yen!).

Have climbed in the Alps at over 4000m and that gave me a headache the first day. Was OK after that but no idea how I'd feel over 5500m.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Here goes with my first foray into piccies. If this goes OK I'll add a few more.

First one is tghe first view of Everest on the long climb up to Namche.

SDC10061.jpg

Second one is yours truly on the first on many bridges.

SDC10046.jpg

Looking down Kala Patar towards Gorak shep and along the Khumbu glacier.

SDC10136.jpg

And this is the big fella himself. Nuptse is the sharp pointy one, Everest is the black one .

SDC10135.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Glad that worked OK, I'll add more pics when time permits.

As for the logistics thats actually pretty easy. We got the Lonely planet Trekking in Nepal guide, paid for flights , went online to book a hotel in Kathmandu , got the gear we needed and went. In truth , that first step of just booking the flight is the most difficult, once done we were comitted and everything else just fell into place.

Flights cost us about £1100 for the two of us . Accomodation in Kathmandu we paid $45 US for the two of us in a good hotel - but you can get by on much much less. Food in Kathmandu is cheap, you can pay a fiver and get a good meal with a beer.

Return flight to Lukla from Kathmandu cost us a little under $120 each and we arranged that upon arrival ( but it is late season right now so availability wasn't a problem). The flight in and out remains one of the highlights for me, to see why search for Lukla airport on youtube!

We flew out two days after arrival at Kathmandu , landed in Lukla about 8am and started walking. We didn't take a guide or a porter but either can be had for about $15 a day. The path is easy enough to follow and whilst I am all in favour of helping out the local economy I just can't bring myself to pay someone to carry my pack . Plus , once hired you become responsible for the porters wellbeing if he gets sick etc. We certainly felt the weight of our packs but for us hiring a porter or guide just didn't feel like the right decision.

Once on the trek we budgeted for $50 a day for the two of us. First few days we spent way less but as you go higher food and drink at lodges gets much more expensive, though the room itself is literally pennies, so over the 16 days I would say about $25 per person per day is reasonable.

One easily overlooked expense is vaccinations. I couldn't say how much we have spent on those exactly but guestimate about £200 in total.

The trek itself, I think was hard work. Lukla to Gorak Shep takes about ten to twelve days including rest days , we took it very very slow to aid acclimatisation. Some of those days you may only walk three hours. The walk back took us four days.

I think the entire walk is only 70 or so miles ( there and back), but its the country you cross and the constant ups and downs , along with the altitude that extends it.

Anything else anyone wants to know, just ask, I'm no expert but willing to pass on what little I can.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
This is about an hour into the trek looking back towards Lukla.

SDC10042.jpg

Between Namche and Tengboche, at various points on the route you come to these monuments to people who have died on the mountains.

SDC10099.jpg

Looking back to Pheriche with Ama Dablam in the background. See how handsome I look. Incidentally thats sand on the ground not snow.

SDC10107.jpg

Sunset at Pheriche, not a great piccie but my camera was cheap and I'm not much of a photographer.
SDC10113.jpg

On the way back down, looking back towards Gorak Shep.
SDC10146.jpg

I hope these give a taste, truth is none of my pics do the breathtaking scenery any sort of justice.

Last edited:

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Great pics, brings back memories of my 2002 trip to Nepal; I walked the Annapurna circuit. Would love to go back and hike to Dhaulagiri.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
what was your kit list then? other treks ive read had sherpas and guides etc, this sounds very adventurous, take it you knew how far it was between sleeping locations then ?

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Grub was ok to be fair, most lodges have similar menus which cater to western tastes, we ate a lot of veg curry, I had a lot of veg momos. On the trek we avoided any meat and had no stomach problems at all. And we drank a lot of hot drinks.

Stooboy, I don't think you are ever more than about an hour's walk from a lodge. The trail is very well trodden so getting lost is unlikely and there are sherpa villages along the route most of which have a couple of lodges where you will find a bed and grub, maybe even running water. The lodges aren't always that comfy though some really were surprisingly pleasant( it was often minus 4 in the room at night) but they are fairly plentiful and you will get shelter, food and water there.

You can do this trek with a group, more independently with a guide and /or a porter or you can just pick up your backpack and follow the trail. Looking back I'd say there were roughly equal numbers of people doing it each way. I have done a shorter trek ten years ago and was wary of going without a porter but we had no problems carrying our packs, we were probably a bit slower thats all.

Our packs weighed 12kg until we got to Namche where i jettisoned a couple of kilos for collection on the way back ( many lodges will store stuff for you). Its amazing how little you realise you actually need.

I have to head out but I'll stick my post jettison kit list up shortly.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
incredible pics mate. somewhere else to add the list of places to go;

walking around all those peaks, did you get an itch to try and climb one of them? even if impossible :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE