Axminster Mora Hook knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
My hook knife arrived from Axminster yesterday, only 3 weeks and a day after ordering it. Yes, THREE WEEKS. I'd nearly forgotten about the order. I think they had to have it made for me.

That said, when I took it out of the shrink wrapped plastic on card back, I noticed how blunt it is. When my Mora 840 arrived, it was very sharp. I've used it a lot and not needed to touch the edge yet.

The spine of the blade also has signs of the metal folding over from the sides onto the edge. I'm not very impressed with the blade when I compare it to my 840. Sure it's relatively cheap, but is it normal that these are shipped blunt?

IT IS SHARP - Please read my later post where I explain what a nub I was!

Last edited:

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
I wouldn't have minded the 3 week delay if it had been sharp like my 840. When I say blunt, I mean I cannot cut my finger with the blade. I can run my finger ALONG the blade and it doesn't cut me. I just didn't expect that from a Mora.

Here's a macro photo of the spine and the metal folded over from the sides. The sides are very smooth though, not rough like the photo shows the spine to be.

http://cid-0543a98e13160818.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Bushcraft/Mora Hook Knife/P2180075.JPG

Last edited:

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
To be fair - that photo is exactly the same as the fold of metal on the spine of my new Mora Miki Carbon Steel knife ... I was suprised by it, especially as my older Frost / Mora knives are apparently much better quality ... i guess it is standard now

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
That folding of the metal is along the shearline from punching the blank. It is a very common thing to get on punched sheet metal parts. If it bothers you, stone it off, the factory could have done it, but the blade would then have cost you lots more.

Dave

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The folding on the spine is pretty standard. Mine had it. Doesn't cause any harm.
As for the sharpness of the knife. Well, I got mine from Axminster (fortunately we have one local) and it was dead sharp like all Mora knives.
Axminster are pretty good people and I am sure if you sent it back to them explaining how blunt it was they'd replace it. But you might have to wait again, I suppose.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
I'll vouch for Axminster (officially "Axminster Power Tools Centre" or APTC) as well as a supplier. Over the years I have bought from them and been to their shows I can only say I have a very high regard for their products and customer service. I think it's that high regard that caused me to be so surprised by this.

I like it too much to send it back now. Besides, sooner or later I'm going to have to sharpen it, so why not start now. :)

I have sent back things before in the past and they (Axminster) have been excellent in replacing the part or refunding me. On one occassion this was even after I had ordered the wrong thing (completely my fault). Most other shops will tell you that products purchased in error are your own stupid fault. I cannot rate their customer service highly enough. ALSO, whilst I'm on the praise wagon... their in-store sales people actually know what they're talking about, and if they don't, they'll get someone else who does. It's not like some DIY stores where the sales people don't even know the difference between stainless or carbon steels.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Slap me across the chops with a wet fish!

I scratched at the blade with my fingernail and something flaked off. So I tried some more and the edge felt sharper. I just had a go on a bit of wood and it now feels sharp! Sharp enough that I won't risk running my finger alone the edge anyway.

I'm guessing this came with some sort of wax protection on it? I'm such a NOOOOB! :eek:

:newbie:

:sad6:

This is SO embarrassing!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Slap me across the chops with a wet fish!

I scratched at the blade with my fingernail and something flaked off. So I tried some more and the edge felt sharper. I just had a go on a bit of wood and it now feels sharp! Sharp enough that I won't risk running my finger alone the edge anyway.

I'm guessing this came with some sort of wax protection on it? I'm such a NOOOOB! :eek:

:newbie:

:sad6:

This is SO embarrassing!

Ah bless! :D

I was surprised by your original report, of it being blunt but not the rough spine. Most of the frost/mora stuff comes like that in my experience and it seems to be worse than ever lately. It's easy to get rid of with a grinder and while you're on, you might like to round the spine slightly, to make for more comfortable 'push cuts'.

good luck regardless and don't forget, to show us how you get on.

atb

R.B.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
The three weeks was axminster's fault

The bluntness and quality is mora's fault though.

There very good when sharpened though

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Mine came the same way, maybe not that dull but too dull for carving, never did get around to sharpening it but that's because I already had a gouge that I could use instead. The spine thing is the same though, all my Moras have really rough spines but I hear certain models come better finished, well actually my Mora 120 carving knife came with a better finished spine, not polished but not bad, so there ya go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE