axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
Ah, well, if you want a good quality UK axe you've got to work a bit harder. I have Elwell, Brades, Gilpin, early S&J ... and more - all excellent axes. The big Brades felling axe cost me a tenner at a flea market, all the rest less than a fiver. There's more soul in a late 1800's or early 1900's British axe :)
ive got a few old english axes and hatchets that need refurbing
but the list of old tools i have will shock most people.
about 2 garages full
these are what have been collected over the years
buy my grandad and my grate grandad
and there is everything from pre war sheep shears to welding equipment that dates back to the 60s if not older.
oil filled stick welder works better than the new stuff
honestly i could set up a tool museum of British tools and screws i could put b&q to shame with the boxs of assorted screws i have.
just time is my issue
i dont have time to restore stuff
as bad as sounds thats all sitting there for when i am 60 and can sit in my rocking chair makeing stuff look pritty and to pass to my kids.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can find informations about most German axe makers in English too, either on the own homepage, sometimes without prices, or in US American shops, but over there the stuff is horribly expensive, whyever.
Perhaps the Export models have a better finish. But I guess that there are high import taxes.

A Brit who would buy a German axe in America surely could as well spend a nice weekend in Hamburg for the same price and simply take the axe or hatchet with him afterwards, because here they throw the same stuff behind you.

Walmart 71 $

Exactly the same in Germany from several sellers for 26 or 27 €.

Incredible, isn't it?

Helko, Bison and Adler use the same forge and assemble and finish separately.

Helko axes are horribly expensive in the USA, here you get the same stuff from Adler and Bison pretty cheap. Look at the shapes of the axe heads! It's really the same!

Last edited:

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
You can find informations about most German axe makers in English too either on the own homepage, sometimes without prices, sometimes in US American shops, but over there the stuff is horribly expensive, whyever.
Perhaps the Export models have a better finish. But I guess that there are high import taxes.

A Brit who would buy a German axe in America surely could as well spend a nice weekend in Hamburg for the same price and simply take the hatchet with him afterwards, because here they throw the same stuff behind you.

Walmart 71 $

Exactly the same in Germany from several sellers for 26 €

Incredible, isn't it?

Helko, Bison and Adler use the same forge and assemble and finish separately.

Helko axes are horribly expensive in the USA, here you get the same stuff pretty cheap. Look at the shapes of the axe heads! It's really the same!
i was actually just looking at the helko black forest hatchet
they seam to be out of stock in the uk but they retail here for about £60 gbp to you door

but yes it is bonkers how much the price can go up buy in differnt countrys
a friend of mine in china just bought a ktm motorbike over there retail here is sub 12k he didnt want to tell me how much it cost him but he hinted it was upwards of 24k

Reactions: Erbswurst

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
just incase you where all woundering after looking at every axe on the market i ended up getting a good deal on the hultafors hultan
it has the head shape i was looking for and seams to everything i was looking for from a sharp
came in a shade over 80quid
so that should be with me tomorrow

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think the Fiskars-Norden has a hickory handle with a protective plastic cover next to the head. It should handle like an all wood handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE