Axes, hultafors length advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
What length axe do you guys carry for general duties? Doi just need one of each to be sure?

Looking specifically at the 44.5cm, 52cm and 65cm lengths. Would need to do some light felling, de limbing, splitting and other general duties expected of a camping axe please......

Thanks for your wisdom in advance.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have the 65cm version and the GB small forest axe (45cm ish?)

The larger axe is a great tool. It will easily cope with all the duties above. The main advantage for the smaller axe is simply (to me) that it's easier to pack.

Personally I'd be tempted by the 52cm handle length as a bit more of "best of both worlds" - they've all got their own pros and cons but the 52cm would likely be the most well rounded.

All the best
Andy

Reactions: *Dusty*

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Check the Husqvarna versions too:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Longer handle tends to be safer in splitting, delimbing. Otherwise a shorter one is handier. I guess I have 4 different ones here at the cottage.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Dusty - I should have said I find I tend to take the small forest axe out with me more than the larger one. Simply because it's easier to pack.
A hybrid like the Ray Mears fancy axe with the heavier head on a slightly shorter handle would be nice.

All the best
Andy

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
Thanks all, as for making things, I'm not that talented i'm afraid, it's off the shelf or nothing for me. I think the 52cm is a good enough shout, it's not going to be knocking down giant redwoods or anything close, and I have a small hatchet already.

The 52cm should hang quite nicely on the outside of the rucksack or fit inside if required.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I've got the 52cm one and it's great. Light and short enough for even quite niche jobs like pleaching hedges but big enough to buck logs up to about 20cm if you feel the need.

The whole range are really good tools.

Reactions: grip and *Dusty*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE