Abit of axe advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,

I've being doing some reading regarding axes - there certainly are a lot of different ones :confused:
I'm wanting to get my first axe to use mainly for carving (spoons, small bowls, cups etc) and splitting some light wood for a fire

I was looking at this one http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/hultafors-classic-trekking-axe-500g-mini-length-37-5cm
and just wanted some feedback as to weather its suitable

Abit of info on me - i'm quite small at 5'1" with diddy hands to match 6" hand span (tip of thumb to little finger)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :thankyou:

Cheers
Lisa

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I personally find the handles on the hultafors axes to be a little bit "chunky", my handspan is just shy of 9".

One of the little Gransfors axes is what I'd suggest, this one probably http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet/

One of the things I'd say to avoid is an axe with a really short handle, a longer handle provides much better balance which will allow you to control the axe more easily and also to use the tool for longer without getting tired.

HTH

Stuart.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I agree with Stu. Also, the thin bit of the GB axes lends them to carving better. I use the wildlife hatchet for all my carving and it is brilliant. If you want something with a short handle that is light you could also do worse than to check out the fiskars x5. Less conventional but a very good tool. I prefer a handle that is longer though. More versatile and a better balance.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm inclined to agree with the above. Hultafors make excellent axes but I'd suggest something with a slightly longer handle would be more versatile.
Don't be afraid to sand the handle down a bit if you have trouble gripping it. Don't go too thin though as you don't want a death grip on it.

All the best
Andy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you are pretty handy then you could re-handle an old axe and re-profile it for better carving.
If you are after an axe that will do it all then go for a full size axe like the GB scandi forest axe. The weight of the head is not that different to the smaller axes but you can do so much more with a handle long enough for two hands. For detailed work just choke up on the handle.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I agree that a full size axe is better if you are going to do loads of felling and splitting, but since the OP said she`ll mainly be carving and do some light splitting I think something small (wildlife-hatchet-size) would be more suitable. I have larger axes but find that I never really run into tasks that require them. I mainly carve and split wood for fires and the handles of the larger ones tend to get in the way more often than they are helpful. I now leave them at home unless I know that I`ll be doing some serious two-handed axing but that rarely happens. I guess it all comes down to what type of tasks you run into.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agree that a full size axe is better if you are going to do loads of felling and splitting, but since the OP said she`ll mainly be carving and do some light splitting I think something small (wildlife-hatchet-size) would be more suitable. I have larger axes but find that I never really run into tasks that require them. I mainly carve and split wood for fires and the handles of the larger ones tend to get in the way more often than they are helpful. I now leave them at home unless I know that I`ll be doing some serious two-handed axing but that rarely happens. I guess it all comes down to what type of tasks you run into.

Funny, I am the other way round. I have a wildlife hatchet and a kent pattern job but always go for the scandi axe. Mainly for roughing out bow staves. Horses courses :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not the tallest of chaps at 5'5" and like a narrowish grip on knives and axes. My hand span is just shy of 8" but I have short fingers and a square palm.
My favoured axe for all round use from carving to firewood prep, dropping small trees to ... well anything axe related really, is the Gransfors Bruks Small forest axe.
It is not ideal for any one of the jobs - but it is a great all rounder!
My second choice for the OP's needs would be a Billhook with a small or no hok on the end and not an axe at all :)

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Funny, I am the other way round. I have a wildlife hatchet and a kent pattern job but always go for the scandi axe. Mainly for roughing out bow staves. Horses courses :)

Funny indeed. This is why there are no right answers to these questions. Personal preference varies a lot :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I'm female, 5'2" with small hands.....and I mostly use an Estwing :D

Not sommat that comes up much in bushcrafting circles, but it's a blooming good axe and it works really well and comfortably in use.
It won't break the bank either.
Mine wasn't even new, it was a joiner's roughing axe and kicked about in the back of a joiner's van for a couple of years before Russ (bless him :) ) cleaned it all up for me.

http://www.estwing.com/axes_outdoor.php

Not so big that it's an enormous effort to use for long, nor too awkward to carry around. Splits, carves, whittles, even makes feather sticks :)

M

Haggis

Nomad
The best axe is the one you've have grown accustomed to using. I had a friend, an older gentleman, who made hickory axe helves for extra cash. He could make whatever I, or anyone else, wanted. In Eastern Kentucky, where he lived, double axes were the common axe, but when anyone bought a new pole axe they would take it to him, have the dog-leg helve removed, and a straight double bit type helve fitted to it. It inconvenienced me greatly when my friend died in his 70-somethings, as I have never grown completely accustomed to dog-leg helves in axes or hatchets. My friend used only a double axe, a farrier's hoof rasp, and a long strip of 80-grit emery cloth to shape his helves from raw hickory staves. I watched him do it many times, and in less than 15 minutes from picking a stave, he would be fitting the helve to the axe. If I were giving advice, I'd say pick an axe or hatchet in the size you think you might prefer, or a couple in different weights and lengths, play with them, discover which you feel most comfortable using, and you will soon find that an axe, or a hatchet, is very much a finishing tool.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
my self I have a number of axes diffent styles and sizes, I do let people ahve a go with them and also use them for any Sharps Skill Shares we run in the group, it give new guys an idea of what they might like when they buy aan axe..

see if you can find some one taht has a collection near by and ask if you can try them... some people will not let any one handle their sharps...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For what uses you describe I have to agree with Toddy and would go for the Estwing. Mines proved bombproof over the years we bought two of them still sealed in their RAF Stores boxes (herselfs is still in the bag, waiting for mine to get lost or broken about 20 years later) as the are issued in their survival kit and turn up in army surplus shops.

ATB

Tom

Hi all,

I just wanted to say a big thanks for the great informative responses :You_Rock_
Going to do abit more thinking and researching but will be between the estwing or wildlife hatchet i think

Really appreciate the replies - thank you :D

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not a fan of axes personally but I have owned an Estwing. They were probably the first popular axe when bushcraft and survival for that matter began with its popularity 70's and 80's perhaps. Still a very good choice for use, strength and size.

N

Nomad

Estwings are the ones with the metal shaft and leather grip, aren't they? What are they like for choking up on?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE