Axe Wedge Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I've just re-helved a hatchet with a 14" hickory handle. I've inserted an ash wedge the length of the eye and want to also add a metal wedge or two. Can anyone tell me of a supplier for such wedges and if they have a particular name? Searching the net under 'axe wedges', 'metal axe wedges' etc throws up far too much other stuff.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Thanks Brian. I saw that site on one of my earlier searches but assumed there must be some difference between hammer wedges and axe wedges. Is it okay to use hammer wedges then? If so, what size is appropriate for a hatchet with an eye measuring 1.25" by 0.5"?

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Red, I've contacted all my local stores, including builders merchants, and nobody stocks axe wedges but they do have hammer wedges. I contacted Faithful, who made the hickory axe handle I have used, and they told me to use a hammer wedge!

So, either I use a hammer wedge which you don't recommend or I use an axe wedge which you do recommend. If I am to do the latter that brings me back to my original question: Where do I get axe wedges from?

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
OK, so what is the difference between a ring wedge as on the above link and an axe wedge? Or is it merely that there were none of the right size in that link?

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
OK, so what is the difference between a ring wedge as on the above link and an axe wedge? Or is it merely that there were none of the right size in that link?

I don't know Mirius. All the wedges on that site state that they're hammer wedges. I got the impression from re-helving tutorials that I'm supposed to use wedges that are specifically designed for axes. I guess British Red is the man to answer that question.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gransfors use flat wedges, Wettelings use ring wedges Mirius - both work as, used correctly, they are just a way of secoring the wooden wedge!

Lightfoot - thats a deal - I'll have a look in the "box of much stuff" for you later in the week!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE