Axe, tomahawk, Hatchet custom design inspiration needed...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am looking for opinions on the most efficient overall tool in this category for heavy use. For a custom design.
I allready have an overall POU (philosophy/principle of use) in mind but would like some experienced opinions.

When it comes to bigger blades I have a khukri penknife (hi)
And gransfors, small forest and hunters axe.

the hatchet I find pretty decent around the kitchen and wood up to around 8inches on average light energy uses.

The hunters axe, to be honest is a little too heavy for me and the profile even though it's slightly larger than the SFA, is a little cumbersome in the kitchen probably mainly for weight not cutting efficiency...

Can some of you fine chopper addicts please share your most efficient version for the following uses.
Light weight chopping 8 inch max with low energy input
Meat cutting
Veg cutting
Game preparation
Fish preparation

Please include the weight of the head and size of cutting edge and handle length...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Do you use an axe in the kitchen? I always use a billhook.

:lol: that could've been written by me! :D

For food and meat prep I use a knife, call me old fashioned. Axes are for chopping ;)

personally I use a hatchet for bushcrafty chopping and kindling, or a billhook. I use a carving axe or hatchet for carving. chainsaw, bowsaw or PROPER felling axe for felling and a maul for splitting anything but kindling.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
I have used axes for more than a decade as a scout and also tryed to use kukri for a period just for trying out big blade machete like knifes, but have found very litle use of any as a rover, and used none for years, then i got a (cold steal riflemans) tomahawk! :)

Features I like seem to be the straight handle giving many option of holding it, better control and the general balance, the overall blade shape and grind makes it good for cutting and choping diagonal, not so much for spliting from upwards but fine from sidewards, think the tomahawk solves many small to medium tasks compared to a few medium to heavy tasks of the axe. I used for it for preping food, but also end up with knive for the final touch or atleast to eat with :)

The heard easely deatach for multiple options and fast field repear.
Think it must be posible to give it more of a straight edge where it meets the handle to improve splitting.

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Use a hatchet in the kitchen? I think madam might have an opinion about that.... besides I would probably end up going though the cutting board & into the work top. A meat cleaver is as big as I go indoors & then only rarely.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Thanks for the riflemans suggestion, thats the sort of thing I am after.

And I will point out that I have little interest in using my own design in the kitchen, I too prefer my camp knife for that however I want a design suitable as far as possible for the uses I have most need for. And occasionally I have had out of primarily convenience ( in that my camp knife was back at camp ) I admit needed to cut such things as banana, grapes, onion, tomato, meat and a few others with my small forest axe...

Please keep suggestions and opinions coming.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day 8thsinner

I am looking for opinions on the most efficient overall tool in this category for heavy use. For a custom design.....
....Light weight chopping 8 inch max with low energy input
Meat cutting
Veg cutting
Game preparation
Fish preparation

Please include the weight of the head and size of cutting edge and handle length...

There's quite a difference between the top end (light weight chopping 8 inch max with low energy input) and the lower end (ie veg preparation), especially if you are wanting to slice the the veg & it's the harder types like carrots, rather than have them pop apart.

IMO. the GB mini is excellent for the last 4 but a bit lacking for the first. It is also a very usefull hatchet for finer carving of seasoned hardwood (and believe me I know from first hand experience :D ).

Let me know if you find one that is excellent for all the tasks you have outlined :D, especially if the top end is in seasoned hardwood :D

Good luck with your search goodjob

Kind regards
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE