Axe Sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2006
Devon
Hi,

Have just got a new ae and need to sharpen it. How do i do this and what items do i need.
Or, is it easier to take it to someone who does such things?

cheers

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Some hardware stores sell Carborundom stones, they are either round palm stones (like the Gransfors Axe Puck), or square and heavy like a bench stone.

Also, get an axe file, for whenever you want to take a nick out, or reprofile the blade.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I personally would only use a puck if I wnated to lose my fingers! :eek:

Use a mousemat (or cork floor tile, rubber sheet, etc) with some wet and dry on it, then work through the grits til you get where you need it. In the field you can use a piece of a sliced up belt sander belt and rest it on your leg ;)

I NEVER reccomend people to use pucks or those silly little 2" long stones, they are just asking for trouble! this is coming from somebody who not only makes sharp things and refurbishes/sharpens them for a living but also one who runs course doing so! :)

Just my opinion though :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE