Axe Restoration Project.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
About six weeks ago I got hold of an axe in a bit of a state,

AEM1 Axe old.jpg2013-05-11 15.41.58.jpg

I decided to rework it and re-helve it with a nice new one, first thing I did was remove the helve that was held on with a few screws, once removed the head just fell off, I then started to clean it up by giving it a good soak over night in vinegar, once that soak I decided to keep the tell tale marks of life in the head, and just gave it a quick polish with a rag and some Autosol, after about a 30 second or so buff, all was looking good,

Then onto the helve, which wood shall I use, that was sorted at the Suffolk Meet, there was a newly blown down Ash, so I set to it and roughed out a new one, I actually roughed two out, one for an other Axe head that I also got at the same time, the one for this project is on the right,

DSC_0942.jpgDSC_0947.jpg

Once I had allowed this to dry out for a couple of weeks, then finished the Helve to fit the axe and my hand grip, the original one was a bit thin for me to use in comfort, I then made a Mahogany wedge and drove it in, trimmed it down, finishing the helve off with a couple of wipe overs with oil.

DSC_0955.jpg

Then spent some time, sharpening it, and finally honing it it now shaves hairs....

Following that I made a mask and a belt loop out of 4mm Veg Tan Leather, to finish the project off, and complete the whole set up.
2013-05-20 07.21.24.jpg

I am pleased with the outcome, and like the feel of the axe, and it seems to be a good user,

I know nothing of the History of the axe or who the Maker is, so If any one can shead some light on the maker, I would be please to hear from you,
2013-05-20 07.21.51.jpg

Hope you like my efforts, I have still got the larger HB head that I am working on at the mo, and will do a write up on that as well.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thank you all, it was fun doing it, and quite rewarding, the first image does not show how bad it was really, but thats the wonder of cameras, :).

I ve got a 4lb Hultasfor Bruks that I am nearly done now, and just brought two more Kent Pattern Axes, one a 2.5lb Ewell, and a 1.5lb ish John Eley, so will start on them as well,

I must admit I do like the Kent Pattern Axes..

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That looks great Stu, the handle turned out well. I think the axe head is a Kentish pattern, although others may prove me wrong. :)

Yeah I like the Kent Pattern for some reason, thing is I have found a supply of old axe heads... :) and yesterday I could of brought a big box full... :)

I do some voluntary work for a charity that sends tools to Africa, and it will sell some bits to people for a donation to help raise funds, I was there Tuesday and Wednesday, putting together two woodworking and one old metal working lathes that were donated in boxes.... that did not work in bits, the original owner took them apart to do up and then got fed up, then donated them... so now they are all working and on their way to Zambia on Friday in a Container.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
I need to find me a good source of old axe heads! I rescued an old Kent axe head very similar to yours from the Scout axe box, fettled it up and rehandled it, it was a great tool. Unfortunately, I broke the handle, so it's waiting for me to make another...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE