Axe question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I picked this up at the car boot sale on Sunday.
Can anyone tell me anything about it as I am no axe expert.

DSCF0339.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF0341.jpg
[/IMG]

It has ELWELL stamped on it and it has a really thin blade.

Thanks
GS

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Dont know the exact model number, but it is a Kent pattern axe. In my opinion Elwell steel is very good, so you have got a good tool there.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
In the spirit of not wasting a thread ,hows about this one??
Much heavier,wider and thicker blade. Unfortunately no decipherable name or logo.

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0343.jpg

Interesting subject is there anywhere I can get more info on patterns etc.

Cheers
GS

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Elwell tool steel is s##t hot. That one looks to have been expertly rehandled (Robin Wood style). For 50p or whatever you paid you wouldnt get a pork pie and a yorkie these day's :lmao: I'd say you got a bargain. I think it has been drop forged, with a pierced eye (not a thin sheet folded round a mandrel and forge welded shut-those sort are cheaper and are inferior and tend to crack and split open after a lot of use)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
good axes imo:) high quality steel, easily as good as the steel used by gransfors.
heres mine, made by spearwell which is a decendant company from elwell. i rehandled mine but i mucked up the throw a bit:eek:

IMG_3610.jpg

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE