axe-knife or saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
To some extent thats true, but there is great fun too in mastering new tools and techniques. Learning to use a limbing axe properly, manage a crosscut saw (misery whip) etc. are just as interesting (although not more so) as learning to carve a netting needle with a knife. Its all good to me - I'd hate to become limited to a "prescribed" toolset. Many mention billhooks of khukris as interesting alternatives and we have many threads on sharpening a knife or an axe (I know - I wrote some) - but who here can sharpen a saw - or even owns a saw set? Lots more fun to be ahd and skills to learn :)

Red

yep to some extent thats true if you would like to create and learn to make various objects out of wood you start with the basics then move on,to different tools for more specific work,but as one tool for the bush for me it`s the couteau

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Saw, billhook, mora, leatherman.

Think it depends on what you want to do, and were you want to go.

Axe is a skilled tool, like has been said. Amazing to watch someone who can really use one.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
My F1 and a folding saw are all I ever needed. Unfortunately clobbering things with an axe tends to draw attention especially when you are perhaps somewhere and for whatever reason trying to remain discreet :rolleyes: . I am always trying to cut down on weight too, and as long as a lightweight saw can do the job, I am inclined to try and pack something the size and weight of an axe. Add to that the fact that hospitals tend to be along walk away from where I am, it is a risk I can manage without quite happily.

I used to use the wire type saws as a kid but they tend to snag, kink and snap after relatively light use so they are not something I would consider any-more.

Of course if you have time, you can pack a bow saw blade in your billy can and construct a frame for it when you get to your site...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If i just take a saw i miss my axe, if i just take the axe i miss the saw :rolleyes:

I take a small opinel for carving/food prep. Fixed blade for small/medium cutting/roughing out. The saw is great for a nice clean edge on projects and is also safer to use when its wet or your tired. The laplander and a little opinel weight next to nothing so the weight isnt an issue.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
all four a mora, a Granny Burkes SFA, a laplander, and leatherman,

oh and a swiss army knife but that stays at home along with dagger cos there fourth generation of my family and have to many memories to loose or damage them

Jul 11, 2009
Essex
Hi, my first post! :)

I'm a Scouter and me and my Scouts use laplanders and unbelievable saws http://www.unbelievablesaw.com These chainsaws are absolutely fantastic, fold down really small you can carry it in your pocket, safe - touch wood no accidents yet and SO easy to use - cuts wood like butter with minimum effort. well worth the investment.

Fab forum by the way, looking forward to picking up a few tips :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE