Axe ident help

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hi

I bought a little axe earlier in the summer at a car boot and would welcome any ideas as to what it actually is.

It's painted green, which I guess suggest the military.

It has a heart shaped hole in the blade, which I suppose might be something to do with extracting nails or bending wire (again military?)

The handle is not original, but there is a hole on one side only, where the handle goes through, which to me suggests a removable handle (once again military?)

I'm not a full member so I can't post a pic, but if you follow this link it's included in my latest blog post - once there double click on the photo to enlarge.

All suggestions gratefully recieved - and thanks in advance

http://gardeningboots.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/axe-a-lotl/

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks to everyone who's already been across for a look.

There was one other thing I was going to ask.

The handle feels too short and I was thinking of replacing it - is there any kind of formula about length of handle i.e. head weight to shaft length ratio, to give best results?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Interesting axe, not seen one with a heart shaped cut out before.

Hard to tell exactly what it is without a close up picture of the head itself.

I'm not a full member so I can't post a pic, but if you follow this link it's included in my latest blog post - once there double click on the photo to enlarge.

Now that you've got 10 posts under your belt you ought to be fine posting pictures direct on the forum.

It's not a privilege restricted to just full members :)

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands

$(KGrHqJ,!hgFCIjjrsy0BQt0CO2gt!~~60_35.JPG

Aah!! I thought I have seen that shape before.:eek:
It looks far better with the wooden handle.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks Bob, I really appreciate you tracking it down.

It's really nasty isn't it?

I'm still not clear what the hole is for.

I wonder what the design provenance is, because it says military, but gives no clue to its origin and the eBay one looks like a recent take on an older pattern.

I agree with Laro that the wooden handle looks better - but my problem is it doesn't work very well. The handle is too short, and on reflection to heavy - and obviously axes need to be top heavy. A reckon a new ash handle is the answer. How to attach to might be more of a challenge. The existing set up has a brass screw holding it in. And of course when brass and steel meet under force we know what's going to sheer.

Of course I could just buy a decent hatchet, but where would be the fun in that?

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
your axe picture shows a very small screw holding on the head, it might even be a soft brass screw too.
just a thought you might want to change that or that axe head will be jumping off the handle just when you dont want it too

all the best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE